Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sailfish

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  rfox22 
#1 ·
What tackle do you recommend for sailfish?

I am about to buy a G Loomis CC GLX.

Will that be good enough to handle them?

#2 ·
Are you looking at the one piece loomis CC 12wt?

I had a chance to cast one this past summer and was very impressed. Incredibly light for the available power.

The only thing I didn't like was the new style guides that make a horrible squeeking sound when the line is stripped. On the plus side the new guides are incredibly light weight and indestructible.

Sailfish do a pretty good job of wearing themselves out and tend not to sound like marlin and tuna. Large bulky flies require a lot of grains to get them to the target.

Any well made rod of 12wt and above will work for sails but you will also need a solid reel with a first class drag.

#3 ·
For Atlantic sails in this hemisphere I'd say that any 11-12 weight tarpon rod should do fine. For Pacific sails off Mexico and Central America I'd suggest a 13-14 weight. There is little doubt in my mind that such a rod can reduce the stress on the fish by as much as 50%. A good 13-14 weight rod is meant to fight strong fish and have lifting power that most tarpon rods can't match. And sails do sound, though not as regularly nor as deep as marlin. I've watched guys who know what they're doing try to land Pacific sails on a 12 weight tarpon rod and it's not particularly pretty. The truth is that many of the best big game fly rods are quite inexpensive. Try the Temple Fork or Cam Sigler models for about half what a Sage or Loomis will cost you. And I think they're better rods for the use intended.

#4 ·
rigging for sailfish

My experience in Crocodile Bay, Costa Rica. I highly recommend a 14wt. rod and a "Marlin" series Billy Pate, anti-reverse fly reel. This reel will give you plenty of room for 600 yards of backing...essential!!! Your fly should be rigged with Owner hooks, size 6 or 8. tied with 80# line and a trailer hook. While many will consider a 12 wt rod sufficient, you will have to play the fish too much and end up with both you and the fish exhausted. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.