Fly Fishing Forum banner

Best Time to Yak the Cape

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Ok guys I know its early .I have to let my boss know when I will be gone.Also I have to get the time first or I gotta stay only 1 guy from my dept.can be out at a time.

Nice to see a bunch of you guys with new yaks.

So what do you guys the EXPERTS (since I have only fished there once out of a boat on a charter) think.Also should I shoot for a better tide or just hit it ?Please advise .Also gonna need a place to stay nearby.Need something reasonable since my wife is quitting here job to go back to school .I will be on a low budget.But I have to get up there for some of that flats fishing
Thanks in Advance
JoeV

#2 ·
Joe,

If it was my week I would pick the June week with the full moon - Monday June 24th this year. The highest tide of the month at Boston is Wednesday 26th. Generally, big tides = good fishing but there is so much variety in the Chatham Area and Juro & co. know this area like the back of their hand and may advise otherwise.

To be fair, I made about 10 trips up there last year from May thru August and had great fishing on every trip.

The Dolphin in Chatham is reasonably priced and it not too far to walk to the lighthouse to avoid the parking hassles.

#3 ·
SWEET!! I had already taken the entire week of the 24th off to spend with my inlaws. Though his home waters are the Shenandoah, I'm sure I could coax my father-in-law to try his hand at SW fishing.

I'm taking a slight detour during the week to take in the Richard Petty Driving Experience up at Loudon Int'l Speedway. I would definitely be up for something from Wednesday - Sunday of that week.

The "Powers" above must be smiling on me, the 24th is my B-Day!

~Mark

#6 ·
How did I miss this one? COUNT ME IN!

We have options in case of a strong SW wind as well; the bayside flats held big fish thru the whole summer and although most seasons they leave for Billingsgate by Father's Day I'm hoping for a trend.

Early morning low - this will require launch in darkness or portage over flats and restrict fishing much of the ebb in daylight, but we'd take the flood in prime time and have an easy ride back to shore for brunch in either Chatham or Brewster.

Big moons have been either feast or famine for me - the big current swing washes things around strong and pushes bait and fish into action; yet the fish have fed all night in the brightness and are prone to be very laid back in the morning after an initial flurry in the South Beach, North and South Islands.

Late afternoon drop in channel structures between the bigger shoals would be where I would put my money. This would give the fish time to work up an appetite and with the approach of evening and the big swing in tides the fish would be caught in holes as the tide re-approaches through the evening. I know of several such channels but won't discuss them here.

In fact, if we launch in the early afternoon while there is still a strong ebb we can fish to the slack (-.4 in stage!) and take the flood for 2 hours until we need to get back to Dodge before dark.

Bayside would be one hour earlier, a better bet but the parking is an issue unless we are willing to take a 1.7 mile paddle from Sesuit.

We can play it by ear.

#8 ·
Let's see. Saturday, June 15, first light about 4:30 am, high tide at 3:04 am. Should be plenty of water on the bayside flats for launch. Fish the tide out and then some high sun sight fishing on the flood. I'm getting all warm and tingly.

#10 ·
Mark,
I'll be down the Cape on vacation the last week of June thru the first week in July. I'll be limited to dawn or dusk fishing except for Tuesday's and Thursday's. Wife will be working and I intend to be fishing those day's, probably at Monomoy. So I'm ready and willing.

#11 ·
Count me in on some of those trips. I have the first week in June off so I'm sure someone will join me in a pre scouting i
trip. Fred I'll be there. Maybe next year we should post when people are going to take their vacations. I my company I have to put in my request the week after Thanksgiving. If I knew when most of the members were going to be on the Cape for a week I would put in for at time. Maybe the wifes could get together while we are fishing.
FishHawk

#13 ·
June can be tough on the best laid fishing plans, what with weddings, graduations, etc. I intend to be down the Cape every weekend with obligatory day trips off Cape for graduation parties (no weddings in June as far as I know, one in May that conflicts with a casting clinic I'm signed up for but I think I got out of that one).

I think I've carved out one weekend (Fathers Day weekend) where I'm persona non-grata for anything but fishing. My idealized vision is to fish the tide out and in on certain bayside flats on June 15 (and probably 14TH and 16TH also) using the kayak for safe traverse. But who knows, with the warm winter maybe this area will be past prime and we'd end up at South Beach, Monomoy or something.

Anyhow, if anyone is interested, I can put a few people up. I'll be making a 3 day weekend of it and will land on the Cape that Thursday night. Their are a number of access points to the area I have in mind but still have to scope out.

#15 ·
Fred

I'm signed up for a casting clininc with a rather well known instructor on Sat 15th (a mad moment in an auction) but plan to be on the Cape Sunday. Now, if I can arrange to sneak away from the "home office" early on Friday .....;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.