Fly Fishing Forum banner

July 4th Morning

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  MarkDoogue 
#1 ·
I will be meeting Jay Horton at the Rip Ryder at 8 am on July 4th morning for some fishing on south beach... the outside then to the Jbouy on the inside... Tides will be good..I think... so if anyone is planning to be in Chatham for the day... meet us there or be square......

#2 ·
Had a client out today... the hordes of fish are back on SB, and many very large fish but they are picky. Other than deep eels and a shrimp fly, one fly did fool a big boy though... my new for 2003 pattern, the "pincher" fly. Still a prototype, trying to make it look good enough for fishermen but the fish like it. Any guesses on the food it imitates?

#5 ·
Could it be a crab

Sounds like a crab pattern to me, congrats on opening some of the locked jawed mouths.

By the way, I could not resist that Hewes it's in my driveway ;) . Finally did it, one more added to the fleet. Need to get you out on it soon. Let me know when you are available.

#6 ·
WOW - nice acquisition Craig! I can't wait.

John, yes it probably is but I'd like to perfect the pattern before I give details about it. I actually have three different versions in the box right now and two of them have caught fish. I want the final version to be less "crude".

But the concept worked unmistakably well and boy you could see the fly and when you got lucky and got a willing fish they reacted to it in a hot manner.

It's a SEAWORM, not a cinder worm or hatch fly, but a beachcrawler. Hey that might be a better name. :hehe:

#7 · (Edited)
seaworms...

I'm looking forward to seeing the "Pincer"

Walking back from the G bouy last week, I noticed a lot of them in the shallows - particularly around the clammers. 'Bout 3 inches long and burgundy colored. A lot of them were maimed by clam rakes I presume....easy pickin's for old linesides.

Also noticed quite a few lunkers doing headstands and rubbing their cheeks in the sand looking for a meal...but I did not see many shrimp and they were certainly not interested in my shrimp patterns.

Could the seaworm be the missing link?

Hope to see some of you dudes on the ferry tomorrow.

D

Congrats Craig. Sweet ride!

#10 ·
Los Tres Amigos...

Just like the old daze...only different!
'Met Johnny Scissorhandz and the BeachNinja at the RipRider...
Capt Kieth got some Instrument time as he cut the fog with his radar/skill/cunning to get us to South Beach drop off...
Over to the ocean side and down to PebbleBeach...after many casts I got a mini-stripe to the dismay of some curious seals (the furry kind)...Juro (who talks to fish) did better as usual...
John had chores to attend to so Juro and I made our way to an inside ambush but the phiishin' wasn't the catchin' we had in mind...
I got a few small stripes...Juro did better (go figure?!)...on the way back to the pick up I had shots at a few BIGGIES but didn't connect. 'Walking the flatzz I saw a good many tight lipped cruisers when the sun popped out now and then...
Nice to fish with old friends! Nice to get some sand under my pheet! Certainly alot more work than driving around in my aquatic assault vehicle...'Wish I had connected with one of those BIGGIES but...
I'll be back!!! (when the wind dies down)...

#11 ·
Yes..that about says it... really nice out on that beach in the fog... Juro..with his long rod..or two hander has three on right off the bat and continues to hit the zone and get hits as he strips in to about 15 yards off the breakers. Will be back tommorrow with an extra hour of outgoing...Big swells breaking on the beach..but we were easily able to cast into the back waves.

#12 ·
What an AWESOME day! My dear wife decided since she wanted to totally veg out at the beach maybe I should go fishing. I said "well, ok if you insist" :devil:

Met with da gang at the Rip Ryder and tied a leader onto a new Wulff Triangle Taper Intermediate (a tarpon line) for one of the two-handed rod configs and took a test toss - much better than the clear intermediate taper for this application.

Had some fun chatting and fishing with some of the ol' gang... two of whom had invisible waders:

Tied on one fly, never ended up taking off that fly all day - it worked on the beach and on the flats. Hooked up several times on the high surf, lost 2x more than I landed, had the fumble fingers this morning.

Crossed over to the flatz with penguin and diego (from redfish TX country) and got the party started. Overcast and nearly impossible to see but within a few minutes I saw what I needed to see. First cast got a 5 foot follow, quick flip to the other shadow and a couple strips and BANG! (see img below)

Then another group moved over a shallow flat in front of me and I led the pod. They were intent on moving into a deep trench and I got no grab. Once in the trench, they made a move back onto the flat and I made a cast. Strip... strip... TWONK! Fish on, fish off - it came unbuttoned. I turned around to say something to Diego about the fish I just led and hooked before stripping the fly in, and before I could finish the sentence a large fish inhaled the fly on the dangle and was jerking the rod out of my hands. I turned and set the hook which got the fish churning the surface and it was clear it was a big legal fish, but that fish came unbuttoned too. Man, what a weird sequence. They stuck their noses out again to the shoreside and I led the pod, hooked and landed a schoolie. Well with three casts I had hit three fish out of the pod but two came on the same cast! I only ended up with a schoolie to show for it despite hooking a very large fish. Weird but at least I didn't end up blanked thru the strange sequence.

Last week I hooked two stripers in consecutive casts, different fish, that both flew out of the water no less crazy than an atlantic salmon to throw the hook. I have three witnesses. Really. Honest. I average a leaper about 1 every ten years, and then two consecutive fish fly out of the water like tarpon in two casts!

The day got better as the sun came out :smokin: I ended up with a bunch-o-schoolies and three 30+, four if you count the one that spit the hook as I was reaching for release after two hard long runs deep into the backing.

I stopped for a pile of littlenecks and 2 pounds of smoked salmon, capers, red onion, lemons, fresh garlic, fresh dill, butter and made an appetizer for the fourth of july dinner for the gang to say thanks for letting me indulge in the Cape's finest fishing. Life is good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.