Fly Fishing Forum banner

Paying to Advertise

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  capt_gordon 
#1 ·
CASE mentioned this in the Reddington reels thread....he bought a hat that said Reddington.
My personal thought is that if I were to spend ~$500 on a rod or reel, then the company would throw in the $20 hat, $10 coffee mug, or $20 shirt. I would think of it as good/effective advertising. I may not be able to see what type of rod a guy is casting at 40 yards, but I would be able to see a Sage logo.
Buying and wearing hats from local shops/forums like this is the exception. It supports the business by helping to get the word out.
Am I out in right field on this one. Maybe it has something to do with my brigade of hats in the closet. My wife mentioned something to me about it a month ago and I quickly switched to the "Shoe" Defense:devil:
Aloha,
Mitch

#3 ·
I've never endorsed teh phenonmenom of the walking billboard fashion statement that seemed to have started in the 80's. We drop alot of cake for our equipment, a shirt or hat as a sign of appreciation doesn't seem to be too much to ask.

I must say that within Mitch's parameters, I was happy to receive a hat from my favorite reel manufacturer, Tioga. It was immediately confiscated by my lovely wife and of course looks 1000% better on her. ;)

#6 ·
hats

I won't wear a hat that has a rod/reel manufacturer's name on it unless they a. give me said rod/reel or b. at least give me that hat. i look ling and hard for just the right hat to fit my (7 7/8) melon. When I finally do find one I like I just about wear it to death.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.