Fly Fishing Forum banner

Intruders - A little more Ed's way

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Topher Browne 
#1 ·
Here are a couple of my latest Intruder attempts, these are a little more in line with Ed's versions.

#2 ·
Very Nice Tyler

I like the look of those very much, the black and red together should be a real killer combo.

Did you tie in a deer hair collar to spread the guinea fowl?

I think those should be tried on the Dean, fish would clobber them there.

Nicely done.

Best regards....Jake

#6 ·
Topher,

If you were to talk to Ed he would emphasize that the lead eyes are as critical to the pattern as is the pheasant tail. It is not just for the sink rate, but it provides much of the action. When the fly enters a soft patch of water the head of the fly sinks which increases the vortex action that Ed speaks of.

I have never been a fan of weighting steelhead flies, but Ed makes a convincing arguement and who can question his results? So I even gave lead eyes a try on my Voodoo Child, wouldn't you know it - 1st run, 10 cast - 15 lb screamer. I have not, nor am I likely to, put lead eyes on all my flies, but, for certain water-types - absolutely! It is now a part of my arsenal.

My suggestion would be to tie a few with the eyes. :smokin:

#7 ·
Lead eyes

These are a "gotta have" on at least part of your fly arsenal. Many float fishermen hereabouts use small crappie jigs under their floats, and they are DEADLY on chrome.
I took a cue from 'em and tied up some flies with lead eyes - voila! A deadly "jig-type" action!

BobK

#8 ·
Lead Eyes

Dear Kush and Bob K,

I will definitely put the lead eyes on the Intruder (Ed's way) for Quebec, where weight in the fly is legal. I'd love to run the fly through some of my favorite pools in the Fall: salmon would smack it. Unfortunately, any weight--lead eyes, aluminum/brass tubes, etc.--is illegal on the Fall rivers I fish. A blind Intruder will have to do!

As the Ice Age has returned--it's a blizzard outside here in the Pine Tree State and we canceled the Nor'eastern Spey Clave in the Granite State due to a Nor'easter--actually getting a fly wet seems a long way off! Thanks, guys.

TB

#9 ·
Topher

Maybe you could get around the external weight regs by building up a rather robust looking head of fine lead wire then dubbing over it???

Don't know if this meets your regulations out east or not?

Just a thought ?

Even if you could wrap some wine bottle sheet lead around the head of the fly like a slip on collar then finish over it with some materials, maybe double the lead sheeting if more weight is needed to reach the desired effect??

Jake

#10 · (Edited)
Topher,

What exactly is the wording of the regulation prohibiting weight in a fly. I am curious as some day I would like to try the Spring fishing for the early run salmon, probably on the same rivers that Dec Hogan wrote that article on for Fish and Fly a few years ago. Would a glass bead on the head of the fly be considered taboo?
Kush and Norseman, your Intruders look great - but now what am I supposed to fish if I ever find myself working through a pool behind you?

#11 ·
Lead Eyes

Dear Norseman and Riveraddict,

Quebec is the only Canadian Province where weight in the fly is legal on scheduled Atlantic salmon rivers. In all other provinces (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland/Labrador) ANY additional weight in any form is ILLEGAL. The regs are very clear on this.

Dec Hogan fished Quebec's York, Dartmouth, and St. Jean rivers in early June. His was a great article in the old Wild Steelhead & Salmon (now Fish & Fly: I miss the former); as those rivers are in Quebec, weight in the fly is legal but cerainly not necessary at that time of the year. The York is one of my two favorite rivers in Quebec--a great place to tangle with big, bright early-season fish.

Cheers,

TB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.