Fly Fishing Forum banner

2011 - Fishing Resolutions?

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  bonefishmon 
#1 ·
Well another year is upon us. Anyone have any interesting flyfishing-related resolutions?

I've been sitting on a dozen or so SW fly patterns of my own design, some will rock and some will flop, but they've been sitting on paper sketches for far too long. This winter, I am going to make them come to life and hopefully kick them off on their journey through evolution.

#2 ·
I've GOT to get back to Kodiak this fall. Missed that fishery way too long.

Want more baby tarpon and will do what I can to find them.

The steelhead on the Dean are calling.

Hell, the steelhead on the Alsea are yelling at me. Got to get the drift boat in the water SOON!

Eric

#4 ·
2011 resolutions

1. Catch at least one new species of fish on the fly (Atlantic or Landlock Salmon maybe?) .....
2. Catch my first fish on a tube fly (otherwise not sure what I've been tying so many for!).
3. Help my boys (7 & 9 next summer) catch their first fly rod fish.

Happy New Year all!

#10 ·
To finally get some use out of my drift boat.

And catch lots of bones in Andros. And maybe Crooked if Vince still has a spot open when I get my bonus and can send him a deposit (mid-Feb Vince).

#12 ·
Dave, Tautog on the fly is an interesting thing. I used to spear them 30 years ago on the Brewster flats. Have you tried for them before. I never have. One place to find them incidently is the Brewster flats at an outgoing. Look for them in the large ponds that form in the gullies of the outgoing....especially in the heavy weeded areas. I would think if I were trying I would use a heavy fly on the bottom. They are big on crushing shells with, as you know, human like teeth..I never thought of trying them on the fly....it would make a good hunt and great experiements with bottom flies...i would think.

#13 ·
Tautog on the fly

BigDave said:
Goals for this season:

Tautog of any side on a fly
Try Woods Hole ..... When the tide is as low as it gets, and the water stops moving (for the 20 minutes that's true!) you can get them in the rock piles in Woods Hole. Caught one about 3-4 pounds like that a few years ago. Saw one 2 years ago drifting over a rock pile there that was so big scared the daylights out of me!

#14 ·
John I have seen them on some of the rockpiles in CCB and got a few casts off with no success. They seemed pretty disinterested, in fact. I think a crab fly might be the ticket. That's interesting that you saw them on the flats...I spent a good deal of time over there this spring and didn't see any. I love eating fish and have heard they are tasty.

#15 · (Edited)
Well, I saw them years ago... and the key was in the heavily grassy areas. The heavey grassy area or ...or were... off Point od Rocks beach...and I thought I saw the growth there recently as last year....also, I agree on the crab, but I was thinking a shell fly...small clam fly. On this forum I tied one... a clam fly... but never tested it and it was done with tautog in mind... with it sitting there on the bottom near a fish...it might pick it up to crush it. Rock piles as mentioned by J are also a prime location. Also, they are know for making great chowder...not sure of the regular filet style but they must be good that way as well.:)

I did a search and just found it...called "The Clam before the storm"...God!..did I call it that back then.:roll:

Attachments

#16 ·
Tautog

Blackfish tend to really like green crabs that are cut in half when fished as bait. Seems the smell draws them to a strike. Whole crabs did not work as well when I used to target them years ago. I have never tried with a fly. It would require a very heavy line drifted over a reef. Light tippet to avoid losing the whole line if snagged. And then there is the chance the whole flyline itself will snag thus losing it in the process. Interesting possibilities.

Funny thing to share. When my son was six years old I made some crab traps for him. It kept him VERY busy. He sold his crabs to the local bait shop. He sold so many that one day they would not take any more and he returned to the car at the point of crying. I mentioned making a sign for the front yard to cheer him up and boost his ego. I arrived home from work late in the afternoon the next day to find a large computer paper banner in bold, colorful print on the front of the house about ten feet long. It announced "WE'VE GOT THE CRABS". My wife, who had not seen him do this, was wondering why so many cars were stopping out in front, pointing at the house and laughing.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.