Fly Fishing Forum banner

My summer adventure!

3K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  GMflyfish 
#1 ·
This is taken directly from my website. In a couple of weeks I'll be embarking on the fishing trip of a lifetime! There is an RSS feed on the blog page of the website. Please feel free to follow along, or better yet join me for a couple of days if time allows.

www.kopijflyfish.com

“20 Years from now you will regret more the things you didn’t do then the things you did. So cast off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Dream, explore, discover” --- Mark Twain

Where to begin? The last year has been a difficult one for me as it has been for so many these days. I’ll spare everyone the details and skip right to one important day. April 3rd my fears were realized and I became one of the hoards to suffer from the downsizing of the financial industry ending a ten year run of continuous employment. Now that the dust has settled I’ve realized that what I’ve feared for the last nine months really isn’t that bad at all. As a matter of fact, it has provided me with a once in a lifetime opportunity!

So what do you do when the financial industry is reeling and employment prospects look grim? For me the answer is to fish. Not just fish, but to put together the trip of a lifetime and explore as much water as I can cram into one summer. So the planning has begun and in mid-May I’ll embark on an adventure that will start in Cape Cod and end some ninety days later in British Columbia. Between point A and point B lie hundreds of blue ribbon rivers that would probably take a lifetime to visit one by one. With no set schedule I’ll be spending the majority of my time in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia.

I’ve set up this site for family and friends to be able to follow along during my trip. I’m hoping I’ll be able to update the blog section on a regular basis. Thanks for taking the time to take a look! If you’d like to follow along you can subscribe to the RSS feed on the Blog Page or email me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Dave

What a great attitude Dave... make lemonade out of lemons!!!!

I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted of where you are and how you are doing...

When on Cape Cod I am sure we will run into each other..

Stay well

your old Acklins bud

frank

#4 ·
Absolutely the right thing. Do it while you can; who knows when the chance may come again. At the Clave, remind me to tell you about my South American jeep trip...same sort of decision.

#6 ·
I was out of work for over a year a few years ago. I'm still paying for it, but it was AWESOME! I didn't do any trips to exotic locations, but I got to spend loads of time fishing locally and made many trips to the coast.

Looks like you've got a great summer ahead of you. Enjoy! :D

Q

#7 ·
Hey bud, good on you! Life's short and you've got your priorities in order (trite I know). Chris got downsized in the financial community, but is now with PNC. I'll see you at the clave, and I've got some info for you on Utah, a place you can't avoid for big browns.

#15 ·
Quick update.....

Blew my engine in cheyenne wy. Car is being fixed but a huge setback. I write this from my tent on the side of a mt in Utah.

Got to the Green around 6 pm tonight. Made a couple of casts and landed an 18" brown..... No camera of course. Start floating tomorrow.

Bill my vehicle setback is making Mt unlikely by the 17th but let's talk about it.

Chris, would love to hook up in Id when I head that way..... Probably mid august.

These posts prob wouldn't do my English teachers proud but it's tough to type on this little screen.

More to follow.....

#18 ·
I just wrapped up on the Green in Utah. What an incredible river! I'm back in a motel in Fort Collins CO waiting for my truck to get fixed. Caught countless fish. There was an incredible hopper hatch all week. Most of the fish were 16-18". No toads but did get a number of fish in the 18-21" range.

Here are some quality shots from river one.......

http://gallery.mac.com/dkopij#100510&bgcolor=black&view=grid

A quick video as well (may have to download quicktime but it's free)......

http://gallery.mac.com/dkopij#100495

The Bighorn is next. More to follow.......

#21 ·
Dave, if we ever get the chance to linkup on the Green, I've got to show you B and C when Red Creek doesn't blow out the river. Chris and Brad are chafing at the bit to go again. It is world class, and if you ever get on a cliff overlooking a good pool (just below Little Hole, as an example), you'll see 30 inch bows. They are cannibals and night time is the right time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.