Fly Fishing Forum banner

Anybody up for a short adventure

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Dave17 
#1 ·
I can't take it, the markets are killin' me, so I have to sneak away for a couple of days. I just booked a cheap flight to Grand Bahama on March 20th returning the 24th.

This will be a bare bones excursion. I'm renting a car, buying some groceries and hitting the flats for three days. I know the north side of the island pretty well and will be spending all my time there. I'm not sure if I'll camp or book a room some place very, very cheap.

If anyone is interested let me know. This will be 'roughing it'. I don't think the whole thing will run much more than $500 including flight. Its spaghettio's and rock time (the Acklins guys know what I'm talking about). Times are tough and if you need a cheap bonefish fix this is the way to do it:smokin: .

#2 ·
Dave, I'm with you in spirit. With the market in the toilet, I'm in the hunter/gatherer mode. Hell, I'm looking at distilling my own single malt, and rolling my own.

I'm not sure the market has bottomed, but if it has, I hope the rebound to previous levels is within my liefspan. See you on the Capethis spring, :smokin: and Acklins next year.

I'm envious.:smokin:

#3 ·
Dave
Would love to. But I hope I'll be in the middle of Umpqua steelhead then . . . and even tho I'll miss capaconia and big wall this year, I'll look forward to next year. I will get a chance to exercise some abacos bones in April. See you in May. Find a sharp rock.
Bill

#8 ·
Had an incredible trip! Here is a quick report:

Day 1: Half day due to travel so I didn't have any expectations. Managed to get on the water quickly and chase feeding fish up and down the beach. Fish were a little spooky due to swimmers in the area. Managed three fish in the two to three pound range.

Day 2: First full day on a bonefish flat in over a year and, of course, a huge front blew in. Lights were out and didn't see the sun all day. I found an incredible area way off the beaten path and decided to give it a go anyway. Fishing was tough and the wind was blowing 30+ but still managed six fish. Two seven pounders, two around five and two around three. All in all a great day without the sun.

Day 3: Front was still there. Minimal sun but managed four fish in the three to six pound range.

Day 4: Finally a blue bird day. Wind was still howling but at least I could see. It all came together on day 4. Had my first fish two minutes after getting out of the car. Took a few fish on an outer beach. Hooked up a number of times on a small creek as bones started to vacate on a falling tide. I then moved outside and took a number of fish working in the surf over some coral heads. The cherry on top was finding tailers in the surf on the long walk back to the car. Took a few fish there before calling it a day. The day was incredible! Lost track after at least a dozen fish!

I'm thinking about a return trip in late April if anyone is interested. 25+ fish in three and a half days with two of those days being almost completely blown out.

Here are some pics:smokin:

http://gallery.mac.com/dkopij#100395&bgcolor=black&view=grid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.