Fly Fishing Forum banner

Scottish Season underway

4K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Willie Gunn 
#1 ·
The first fish was caught on the Helmsdale yesterday.

See www.helmsdale.org/fishingreport.asp

The first Springer in Scotland was taken on the Helmsdale today. Hugh Wilson ( Glasgow ) was the lucky angler. The sea-liced fish weighed in at 9.5lbs and was surprisingly caught in the Oasis pool on Bt 3. A 1 inch Willie gunn did the trick fished on a sink tip line. With mild temperatures and a large number of anglers expected tomorrow there is every chance of another fish off. Hugh wins the Bridge hotel trophy, complementry day tickets, 1 dozen Willie Gunns and a champagne dinner at the Quiet Piggy resturaunt Brora, and of course the wright to brag "I caught the first fish in Scotland". Last chance for a cast tomorrow so if you can make it, be there!! Dont forget to call at the Tackle shop for your killer flies and valuable advice.

Excellent choice of fly but not so pleased with the choice of line.

#5 ·
Willie Gunn said:
Just got a text message (txt mssg) from young Gordon Armstrong who was up on the Helmsdale today and apparently another fish was caught today. 8lb and sealiced.
Dissapointingly not by young Gordon
What surprises me about Malcolm's post is the lack of 'crowing' about the first fish, and prizes, being "Willie Gunns."

Go figure?

#12 ·
Charlie said:
Springers are the best.
Charlie.
Right you are Charlie:) , It's just too bad that we have to wait until June for spring to come for us:( . BTW how did you do in the phone in and are you going to Somerset?

Malcolm, how about giving us poor sods some vicarious pleasure by filling us in on your attempt to get a fish in every month of the season. We really are pulling for you;)

Ramsay

#14 ·
OK On Sunday I am heading north, with Mr and Mrs Jack of the Carron line fame and Mr Alan Williams Speyboard chairman. We have arranged 2 days on the Borgie and 1 on the Naver both these rivers expect early fish. I will probably do the Helmsdale on the way back. My season is a bit disruppted as I have just bought a house in Speyside and the solicitors are messing about, i was supposed to move last week but no chance.

I will do a daily report from up north.

#15 ·
spring season

The season for bright fish starts on June 1st in many (but not all) rivers in Quebec except on the Causapscal (May 15th).

However, Spring season for New Brunswick on the Miramichi starts on April 15th and that is only 87 days away. Here is one that was nice and bright allthough somewhat skinny and jumped 4 times. Released in great shape!

Attachments

#18 ·
spring season

That is in fact a Kelt and caught just a few days after Ice out. A Bright fish would have much more girth. I must apologize for the poor quality of my thumbnails. The actual pictures are MUCH clearer. I would be interested to hear where Salar-1 thinks this "spot" is. It is a really big river that time of year.:cool:

#24 ·
Malcolm,

have just done it, ( the marriage).
But unfortunately I have not your frequence. Neither before nor in the near future.
My friends mean that the chain is on now, but I cleared that it longs definetely from Germany at least up to the Thurso.
This year one week Tweed and one week Spey.

Best regards,
Martin

#26 ·
Charlie: Still not sure about Somerset. We have one of the guys in the shop off getting married but will if I can manage. Will be nice to see Anne and Brian this week. Will miss your presence.

Malcolm: looking forward to your reports. (BTW you are not using bricks this time of year are you?)

Ramsay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.