Fly Fishing Forum banner

Belize adventure

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Dave17 
#1 ·
Planning to spend a week in Belize in mid-April 2004. That's all I know for now - want to find some bone fishing - suggestions?:)

#3 ·
Haven't decided that yet. Considering ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker, but would consider other options too. The only thing certain are plane tickets to Belize City on April 13th - after that I am open for any suggestions that will maximize the bone-fishing options!! Hoping to do some wade fishing but realize that a guide will likely be our best bet for most days.

#5 ·
I have been to Ambergris Caye twice in the last year and think that it is a great place for bonefish and tarpon.
You take a water taxi from Belize City to Ambergris for about $20. Fair to good hotels cost $50. There are a goodly number of guides who will take you out for $125for a half day, $175 for a full day Food is good but a bit on the high side.
There are always a lot of bones but the biggest I have caught isabout 6 pounds. The tarpon fishing is great if the wind is from the right direction but takes a full day.
If it is not the high season, I go for 10 days to two weeks and thenpick which days I want a guide. There is little else to do there if your your not into shorkeliing or diving.
If you're interested, email me and I'll give you a recommendation on hotels, guides, etc.

#6 ·
Belize

Kelgin
I just got back yesterday from 2 weeks in Belize. I stayed on caye caulker the whole trip. Did make a day trip to ambergris to scout out the area to come back on another day during this trip but after spending so much time on caulker and seeing ambergris I didnt want to go back to ambergris, reminds me alot of Mexico in some places. Anyway caye caulker is an awesome place to spend a vacation with the family, very limited tho for fishing from the island as far as flats go. I spent my time fishing with the local guide, guru and retired council member "PIGGY". His real name is porfilio guzeman but goes by piggy. He is a great guy and became a good friend. I didnt have any luck with the tarpon while I was there. I did catch two "small" permit. The bonefishing was great, caught several over 5 pounds and one that piggy said was 8-10lbs, The flats arent like the bahamas, these flats are almost all turtle grass and they never dry at low tide. Basically always fishing in 2-4ft of water. Where piggy and I went I never saw another fisherman, some of the atolls we fished are little ridges that never stick out of the water at low tide, its kind of strange standing out there with nothing around. But these are the spots for the big bones, plus they dont really get any pressure. Ambergris is probably a better spot for all out marsh and flats fishing, but know where near as clean and friendly as caye caulker.
My opinion is to at least make sure and have a ticket out of belize city when you arrive there by plane, the faster the better.
Talked to many locals and others during this trip about placencia and dangriga and the whole consensus was that those two places are alot like caye caulker, clean,quiet and fairly safe places for gringos to be.
I rented a house on caulker and it turned out great, try to get air conditioning, it still got real hot and muggy and the a/c was great at nite.
Let me know if you need further info;
Capt Mel, i will email you in the morning.
Blueh20

#7 ·
BlueH20

we will be on a cruise ship that stops in Belize for the day during Easter Week. I was hoping to maybe get out for a half days fishing. Do you think this is something that can be done? If you have any info you could share with me I would appreciate it. Never have saltwater fished before, I usually stick to the fresh water species. I remember seeing the show In Search of Flywater about a month ago, they were in Belize fishing the inlets and rivers for bones and tarpon I think. I can't remember which guides they used as that was before we booked out trip. Any gear recomendations?

Thanks
Andre

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.