Fly Fishing Forum banner

La Paz guide recomendations

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
My son and I are taking a cruise which will stop in La Paz (Baja) on April 12th. We will be in port from 8am-6pm. Can anyone recommend a charter to use? I will bring my fly rod (8 or 10wt.?) but he will just want to hook on some bait and catch fish. We start our cruise in San Diego, can you suggest a good fly shop to pick up some appropriate flys for the day.

Thanks

#2 ·
For those who stumble across this thread in a search I will answer my own question.
I found Andy Montanas fly shop in San Diego to be very helpful and they were only a short ferry ride and walk from the hotel.

We took a bus from the ship to La Paz and I found a panga along the beachfront in town. He started out at $60/hour and we settled on $40 which made it $120 for 4 hours. On our 20 minute run to the Sardine pens, which is very close to the cruise ship, we came across pelicans and diving birds working over some bait fish. It did not take long to hook into some Bonito about 16" long. Another 40 minute run past the Sardine pens and we were fishing off Punta Arena (I think that is the name). I managed to hook a snapper and some long skinny silver fish which cartwheeled non stop until he released himself. The guide mentioned the name but I forget it now. Most impotantly my son had fun catching a snapper and a Bonito.

#3 ·
Thanks for answering your own question. I wish everyone came back to their threads and finished them. Sorry no one could help befor you went. I would have suggested getting a charter out of one of the big hotels, but that kind of advice is worse than none.

#4 ·
Goes for me too - I read both the Q and the A with interest.

Don't write off these excursions with us yet! They take a little time to come together and in my case I do too many for the common good (of the family and employer). That should not stop anyone else from taking the charge though!

BTW the bonefishing on Mission Bay is supposed to be fair! I worked there for many moons and never knew I could have been sight fishing for tailers during the off hours!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.