Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flyfishing the Black Hills

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  flyjkol 
#1 ·
I was in Rapid City for a few day over spring break and after visiting Rushmore and Crazy Horse found a little dead time to sneak out and sample some of the catch and release waters of Rapid Creek.
The fish were large and extremely skiddish, the area itself is still in the midst of a bad drought and spring run off and all water conditions were that of late summer depths. The water was absolutely gin clear and almost all fish were taking midge larvae with an occasional fish rising to an adult. With the water being that clear and low a caught fish would put down and entire run an errent cast or a missed fish would do likewise, needless to say in one fashion or another I probably put down every fish in a 1/2 mile stretch of stream at somepoint in time. Twelve foot leaders or longer were a must. I was able to land an 18" rainbow on a 22 comparadun and missed several more strikes. My father was able to land a few more on thread midges, all quality fish.
Beautiful country and great fish, almost makes me wish I remembered my camera :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.