Fly Fishing Forum banner

What do you Paddle?

6K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
I was just curious what brand/model of Yaks everyone is paddling. I hope this thread lives on and can serve as a yak rollcall of sorts. I'd like to see what kind of following there is on this board. As new members come on board they could chime in.

Don't be shy, What are ya paddlin'?
Pictures welcome.

Let's see if we can build a fleet here.

#3 ·
I'm in a fire orange Ocean Kayak Frenzy. Sit on top for me...i really like the versistility.

Nick

Pictures to follow...gotta take it out of the tarp first!

#6 ·
What do you paddle?

Just picked up my first...a grass green Pungo that used to reside at Area 61 (thanks Pete!). I anticipate my first serious paddle to be the Spring Clave...practicing in the local lake just as soon as the ice clears.

Best regards,

-Doc

#9 ·
Nope..not another pungo. Technically its a recycled pungo from the A61, so take one out of the MYLU and into the Doc's column.
;)
Nick

G
#13 ·
What do you paddle?

Bad girls, REALLY bad girls!!

An Old Town canoe. Great for getting there but, regretably, poor in the fishing.

Yaks? Seem to be a rather gruesome cross between the more refined canoe and a tent (?). Can't understand why people wish to attach themselves to a watercraft that likes to roll over. yak, yak, yak...

:razz: :devil: :hehe:

mmm

#19 ·
WS Tarpon - the 16ft version - Blue - love it to bits - just wish it was 20lb lighter :rolleyes:

Pick up Roleez moon wheels at the end of last season and did a test drive in the back yard - simply awesome plus they fit inside the hatch when dismantled! Can't wait to try them for real.

Did I hear someone say Brewster Flats? :D

#20 ·
Roop has a better way to get your boat to the water on Brewster...

Me.

Nick

#21 ·
Having only been in a yak once, this Jan in the Keys and without much experiance to show for it. (I fell out), it was only about 18"s deep but muddy as hell! I now have much more respect for Striblue!:D
I was watching a show this morning where Hank Parker was fishing some river with a yak, Hobie with pedals and a rudder. This was not your ordinary paddle wheel type arangement, it had flippers on the bottom that worked back and forth. This thing could move pretty well, and was hands free to fish. The flippers could fold up against the hull and he was in areas with about 4's of water.
Anyone else get a look at this type of rig?

#22 ·
Brian,
I've seen these before on the web...never in person though. Actually, IIRC, someone last year posted a picture of it admist the "shark attack frenzy". Definitely looked interesting, I think that there are some movies on the web that show it in action, I'll see if I can dig any up. Was a really neat thing though.

Nick

#23 ·
Mean Mr Mustard said:
Can't understand why people wish to attach themselves to a watercraft that likes to roll over.
The recreational yaks these guys are talking about actually are more stable than a canoe and can get you to the "honey hole" for miles away very quickly.

I'm a recovering canoe-ist. Every day is a struggle not to fall off the wagon (boat trailer) and join you guys again.

#25 · (Edited)
For anyone else interested in the Pungo 140

DFix put me onto this review for the P-140... quoted from Paddling.net canoe and kayak reviews...
"Submitted by: dirtydave69
01-30-2003
This year Wilderness Systems has completely redesigned one of their most popular products, the Pungo. The changes are extraordinary and it is now known as Velocity Rec Series. The Pungo is now offered in 10, 12, and 14 foot lengths to suit a broader range of paddlers and needs. The 140 is a sleeker, longer and faster version of their popular 12 footer. Wildy has stated that the new Pungo is “quicker and more resolute than most true sea kayaks.” A claim I have found to be completely correct, but with the generously sized cockpit at 55" x 19" it is easy to get in and out of. Plus it has a comforting secondary stability that will be appreciated by everyone.

I had seen the redesigned Pungo for the first time at the Shallow Water Expo in Pinellas Park and was totally taken by the beauty of it. I had to paddle one! I called Brain Faulk at Canoe Escapes and asked him if he had one in stock for a short test paddle. He in turn asked me if I would like to take the 140 for the weekend on a paddle fishing excursion, a generous offer I could in no way refuse. Brian set me up with a khaki 140 from his fleet of rentals and off I went.

Upon closer inspection in my garage, the first feature I noticed about the 140 was the sleek, almost sea kayak like design of its hull with the same proven multi chine hull of the earlier models. Another improvement includes bow and stern rubber hatches. The rear bulkhead creates a watertight compartment to keep your gear nice and dry. I found this to be a good feature during my paddle tests. In 2 foot seas without a spray skirt paddle drip and spray water accumulated in the cockpit. A half skirt is strongly recommended if you buy this boat to keep spray and paddle drip out. It also serves as a handy work table and stripping basket if you fly fish.

The stowage capacity of the new 140 will suit the needs of anglers and campers. With a weight capacity of 325 lbs. the cavernous hull will swallow up all your fishing gear and a weekends worth of camping equipment with ease, a few 6’6” rods can even be stowed below the fore deck out of the way.

The entire line of new Pungos come standard with a new seating concept brought out last year by Wilderness called Phase 3. The Phase 3 seat is completely adjustable 3 ways- A tug on the cord at the bottom of the seat raises the back for lateral comfort. The seat back adjusts forward and rearward. A tug on two loops at the side of the seat raise it to comfortably bring your legs up into a more natural position and take the strain off your lower back as you paddle. The Phase 3 seat is as close as you will come to your favorite lounge chair in your own kayak!

The hull on the Pungo 140 is more structurally sound at the deck and coaming area due to reinforcing the coaming area with more plastic in the molding process. The coaming and deck areas no longer compress easy like the earlier models.

Paddling the Pungo was an experience that could not be equaled by any boat in its class. You may say that the 140 is in a class all its’ own after paddling it for some time. Let me begin by saying this boat is FAST! Very fast and -Oh! Did I say it was fast? The Pungo glides like it is on grease. Faster than the popular Tarpon but slower than a Tempest (the new WS Sea Kayak, really fast, really sleek), I paddled it up current on the Tampa Bypass Canal with the spillways open and it cut through the current like a hot knife through butter. I felt in no danger of spilling out due to the excellent secondary and good initial stability of its hard chine hull.

For a 14 foot kayak it turns with little effort. Let your butt go and give it a slight lean to the outside of the turn with a sweep of your paddle and your going in the direction you intended in short order. I think it turns as well as my 12 foot Pungo which is something a lot of 14 foot boats can not do. Going in a straight line is easy too! This kayak tracks as if it was on rails with no tendency to yawl along its horizontal axis between paddle strokes.

As a fishing platform the Pungo excels in many ways. The load and bulk carrying capacity of this kayak is unmatched. It is dry as a bone (with a half skirt). This makes it an excellent winter time and cold water kayak. It can be easily rigged with a basic set-up of rod holders and anchor cleats or none at all. You can fish this one right off the dealers rack as the rods can sit securely behind the seat if you wish not to drill any holes in the hull. The 140 will be home in the backwaters as well as the flats in any season.

At the end of the day, a lot of paddlers will find the Pungo more manageable to car top than most SOT’s. Weighing in at 50 lbs, the Pungo is ideal for female paddlers as well as us old salts.

In conclusion I think Wilderness Systems has a real winner here in many ways with a kayak that will appeal to a lot of paddle anglers, not only in Florida, but nation wide. If I had one of these when I lived up north, then no Striped Bass or Bluefish would have been safe. The Pungo 140 is a complete pleasure to paddle and Wilderness Systems is known for putting out some quality products for just that-paddling pleasure, the 140 is sure to please even the most experienced paddler.
Rating: 10 of 10"

There are a few other reviews on that page similar to this one in overall message, though the content is shorter...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.