Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly line changer

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  baldmountain 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard of this product? (guiderunner) I keep hearing more and more about it. I guess its fairly new. Its supposed to help you change your fly lines faster. Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you guys had ever used one, and had good success with it. I'm almost thinking I should just buy one and try it out for the little money you spend.

Let me know what you think...

#3 ·
Hmmm, maybe?

Sometimes after paddling out to the middle of the lake and fishing for awhile I realize I should have on an intermediate or full sinking line instead of a floating line. How does the free spool that the line comes on help me in the middle of the lake? As I understand it this GuideRunner thing lets me change spools and rethread my rod without going back to shore. :wink:

#8 ·
I think the product Komatsukid describes has some potential, altough with a piece of wire, rope or nylon you can do the trick...

Try to imagine you're a short armed fella in the middle of a lake padlling your rubber fins around, you didn't get a strike for hours so you decide to change to either a floating, intermediate or sinking line (doesn't matter, point is you want to change lines)..
So, you wind up all the line you where using, take that spool off the reel, change it for the spare spool with the line you want to start using..you'll do fine the first 3 or 4 lineguides untill you run out of arm...
Last thing you'd want is to drop that fishing rod into the depths....you could consider taking the rod apart and guide the new line trough the lineguides and assemble it all....line all over the place, twisted around the rod so you can start all over again...

the product komatsukid describes does nothing more than guiding the line trough the eyes....you start winding up your line you want to change, connect the end of the tippet on the product, a piece of wire comes out of this thing on wich you attach the line you want to use, wind up the wire and presto.....new line is guided trough the guides.....like i stated any piece of wire or nylon will do this trick.

IMHO it has got nothing to do with spooling a line onto a spool you where using, the product is just made for guiding a line trough the guides when you are in a situation where you just cannot put your rod on the ground and walk circles around it...

Try a piece of nylon double the size of your rod's lenght next time you are in your bellyboat, maybe you'll understand the complexity :D of the situation some people can manage themselves in...and find it neccesary to develop a product for this :confused:

greetings, Limpe :hihi:

#9 ·
Actually, I was considering trying to use a 2 handed rod from a kayak. One of the things I was truly worried about was how to change lines while in the boat. There would be no way to string the rod without something like like the GuideRunner. Although $24 is probably a bit more than I'd pay. Especially since 30' of old backing on a backing spool would work just as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.