Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flys to buy

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Fishaholic69 
#1 ·
I Finnaly picked out my fly rod outfit i want but i dunno what type of flies to get. I'm gonna be fishing for bass, panfish , and maybe do some river fishing for carp. What do you guys suggest? The fly rod is 6wt if you need to know that.

#2 ·
Welcome to the world of fly fishing and say goodbye to your savings. :) The best fly for a limited collection would have to be a #8 Black Wooly Bugger. You can cast it or troll it for Bass or Trout. If you only have a floating line then get a Bead Head Wolly Bugger. It would help to know what fly lines you have.

#4 ·
Woolly buggers should definitely be at the top of your list for any freshwater species.

For panfish, you'll want a smaller size for their smaller mouths, so stick with a #8 or so. A black sparkle bugger would be my pick. Also try some small poppers, but be prepared for some frustration because it can be tough for them to get the popper into their little mouths so you can expect a lot of missed hooksets. Another great fly for panfish (and bass too) is a hornberg streamer. I've caught hundreds if not thousands of panfish on this pattern.

For the bass, go bigger to something like a #2 or #4 (or even 1/0 if you can find it). The black sparkle bugger and hornberg will work great for them too, but just use a little bigger one. Also try olive and plain black buggers, and yellow if you can find it. A deer hair or foam body popper is deadly in the hour before dusk once the water temps get above 60. It can work during the rest of the day, but in the hour before dusk it's probably the best fly you can use. Color isn't really that important, just make a lot of splashing noises with it. A Dahlberg diver is another essential bass fly. Colors for this should be white, yellow, natural (i.e. brown), and black. This should cover you pretty well. With a couple each of woolly buggers, poppers, and Dahlberg divers you'll be covered for almost any bass fishing situation. One other fly to add if you're going after river smallmouth is a brown woolly bugger or crayfish imitation.

For carp, black or purple are good colors. Carp are a tricky fish to catch on a fly though so if I were you, I'd concentrate on the panfish and bass to start.

#5 ·
Thank you guys for all the help. What are the numbers with the sizes of the hook Like the bigger the number the smaller the hook will be? I dont have a fly fishing story around me or close to me is there any good websites other than cabelas and basspro that sell these flys?

#6 · (Edited)
I feel you man! I am starting out also! I've read a few things and the smaller the number the bigger the hook. also try (SPAM removed) for flies they seem to have a good selection at cheap prices!
edit... sorry didn't know you couldn't post websites unless they were sponsors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.