Fly Fishing Forum banner

How should we respond to the proposed weakening in salmon protection?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dc_chu 
#1 · (Edited)
In moving forward in regard to the proposed reduction in critical habitat, how should we make our concerns known? Who are all the people we should contact? How do we provide public comment?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Tell NOAA-F how you feel and by all means let your Congressman and Senators know as well. But you have to also remember that the things the federal courts have ordered, cannot be changed unless Congress changes the Environmental Protection Act and the Clean Water Act. Personally, I think it would be best to not try to change the ESA or the CWA and instead work within what the courts have said. Also, don't forget to read what NOAA-F is actually proposing and then address what you don't like about the proposal instead of relying on the very poor amount of information the news media and newspapers have provided. Otherwise you will come accross as an uninformed person, and Congressmen and Senators have staff members keep abreast of these by actually reading the entire 400+ page proposal. Unless you are informed at least about some of what the actual proposal says, letters tend to get discounted by the Congressmen and Senators staffs and this is not what you want to happen.

#3 ·
The Response

Good morning,
In the "Another Attack on Fish" thread, Juro wrote;
" We have alot of people here, so if there is a good plan put together I am sure we can get some preasure going in a positive direction and stop the eminent slide".
I wholheartedly agree!
I think the time is long overdue for The Worldwide Flyfishing Forum to come togrther as one unit, with a writen response, towards these proposed changes! Lets use this new thread for that purpose, Ideas and Comments for a draft proposal to send to the powers that be localy and in Washington!
Pros and Cons for this? Lets hear them!

Deerhawk

#4 ·
Good points. Though I think raising general public concern to the tune of "this proposed change really concerns me" will go a long way, especially if its from people who otherwise are uninformed or don't have the time to respond to the 400 page proposal (i.e. my relatives who don't fish). That said, I would invite anybody who has read the proposal in advance to provide a quick summary of the points that we should address in a more detailed letter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.