Fly Fishing Forum banner

Polarized Binoculars?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has experimented with putting polarizing filters on a pair of binoculars? I know that it wouldn't be suitable for low light use but it would help to tell what is happening 40' away just under the surface.

#6 ·
As a field tester for the Zukotron, I can say that I have adequetly put it the test, through it's paces and over the ropes.

It is one robust piece of equipment that gives consistant results without any malfunctions or misreadings. It works equally well both on shore & from a boat.

Operation is "Set and Forget", output is automatic and it never needs batteries or adustment regardless of the type of terrain. Controls are very intuitive and unconfusing.

Couple the Zukotron with invisible waders and you've got a deadly combination that leaves fish boggled and other fisherman envious.

Froy Layvin
Zukotron Test Team
SB Products Inc. LLC

#7 ·
This is a darned interesting question!

I know they make Binock's with several different coloured lens for light enhancement, .... but you're right. Don't ever remember seeing a set with Pol. filters. But, for marine applications would make a lot of sense.

To retrofit with 35 mm camera filters would appear fairly easy ... as long as the large lens has a threaded 'end cap.'

#9 ·
Ted your right. I just don't like to wear glasses with optics. It's probably from years of working on a microscopes where I had everything dialed in so it compensated for lack of glasses. One of these days I'll get around to testing polarized lenses on a pair of binoculars.

#11 ·
I was sooting some video in NZ once, and I put my RX polarized lense over the video cameras lense (auto focus) and it worked pretty well.
i would use a moncular to keep the costs down. I think one can get sheets of polarized acetate (gels). Cheaper for an experiment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.