Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly line color

3K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  old man 
#1 ·
I would like to poll the forum members for their take on fly line color.

Since Steelhead are not color blind (or so I believe), does the orange or bright yellow lines, for example, spook the fish? Does the lines added visibility to the fisherman outweight any such concern? Are such bright lines okay on sunny days, yet not so great on ones with a dark overcast?

What about the gray or brown or green lines? Does a fluorescent green line detract or not?

If this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it, so please pardon any perceived duplicity.

Steven

#27 ·
I wish!

Nope! I've only lived here a year, and I'm a stay at home dad, so driving that far to explore cuts seriously into my fishing time. And what if I find my dream water that far away... Yikes! I'd be ruined! My creeks are within 20 to 30 minutes of my home in Woodinville, but they do hold wild fish (mostly cutts and 'bows, but some have brookies). How can I complain? Hopefully in a few years I'll be able to extend my range. Heck, I hope to hike in to try to catch some lakes right at ice-out by the year 2005! Right now my moto is "dream big, but fish close":chuckle: Of course I'm currently guilting the wife into a baja trip in October... I've earned it :devil:

#29 ·
Hmmmmm... I'll drive. I would LOVE to try it up there. Is it fishable throughout summer, or is it a June/July and october type thing? I'd also like to hit the small streams up in YOUR neck of the woods. Last time I looked at my topo map, I saw lots of squiggley little blue lines dumping into the stilly;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.