Fly Fishing Forum banner

trout in Argentina

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
I just got back from two and a half weeks fishing in Argentina. One week was in Tierra Del Fuego and the other was in Patagonia.
The fishing was incredible on the Rio Grand in Tierra Del Fuego. When the wind was blowing under 20, we were able to fish with floating lines and skate drys and swing small nymphs. As the wind picked up, sink tips were the call, and when the wind was blowing a steady 50, a 200 gr head was the only way I could get off a cast. I fished as light as an 11.5' #6, and up to a 12' #8 2hander. Flies that worked were #12 prince nymphs, #10 green machines, #8 rubber leg Brindle Bugs, and #6 Bitch Creeks. The biggest trout of the week was 23#'s and my best was a 21# male. It got to the point that we were shaking off 3# fish. Anyone who is lucky enough to go should look into fishing Frontiers Kau Tappen Lodge. All of the others had their sports dredging with 400gr.heads, fishing the same pools as us. We didn't catch all our fish on the surface, but some of the more memorable fish would erupt out of the waster, exploding on a little bug skimming across the river.
Fishing in Patagonia was a little bit of a let down after that. I always thought that I could cherish each fish for it's own challenge and contribution to my life, but no...I am ruined. We had nothing but dissdain for the puny 16"-20" trout that we were catching. Well...lets say that it took a day or two to adjust.The water in patagonia is beatiful. The landscape reminds me of the Rockies, the prices remind me of Monaco. This is far and away the most expensive fishing destination that I can think off. This fact made the mediocre fishing not as fun as it could have been. The private water is so slammed by fishermen, that I am convinced the fishing is better on the public waters. In some cases it has to be. Unfortunatly I think that many of the estancia owners are getting a little greedy. If I went again, I would rent a car and fish the public waters around st.Martin. Still, fishing is better than the alternative.

See less See more
#4 ·
Eddie:

Enjoyed your post about Patagonia. Where did you fish aside from TDF? I was there in November of '99 and fished mostly the national park waters of Los Alerces. We had a boat and fished the chain of lakes and connecting rivers. Now, I've been to the rockies in Canada, but that has to be the one of the prettiest places on earth. In my view the beauty of the Andes beats TDF hands down. I know the lure of the big browns, but... I think a healthy mix of natural beauty and nice fish (16 - 22" or more) is more up my alley. You mention that prices are real high... you bet! The argie peso has been tagged to the U.S. dollar for 7 or 8 years. Additionally, you stayed at a lodge considered to be "la creme de la creme" of fly fishing lodges at a top destination.
Gotta pay top dollar for that.

Did you have a chance to go to Santa Cruz for steelhead? March and April are the months for that.

Cheers

Luis

#5 ·
TDF is not a beautiful place, but I think that Kau Tappen is worth every penny.Other guests who are more fortunate than me rattled off a list of equals(Ponoi, Silver Hilton etc.)that leads me to believe that it is among the best.
It was the fishing in the north that I was a little disapointed with. We fished the Majeo,Traful, and a few others. As far as cost, I can't think of a place in the States that costs as much(eg.Elk Trout) but I can think of a bunch of free spots that are equevelant. You wouldn't drive five hours to get to any of them. Like I said, I would stick to the public waters.
I will say that no one else seemed to mind. To each his own. The wine and BBQ. is world class down there. Maybe I just don't like fishing for trout with guides.
Any way, I had the time of my life, and loved every second.

#6 ·
Eddie:

Those can be good waters but the rivers and waters near San Martin de los Andes are the beaten path of Patagonia. The whole area is more developed than further south.

If you ever have the chance to go again visit Los Alerces in Chubut province (you should have a contact with a boat, though). There's no comparison and you'll be walking along 2000 year old trees in some areas that will make you feel very small.

Fish the Rivadavia, Menendez and Futalaufquen Rivers. Fish Lago Verde, Futalaufquen, and Menendez lakes (the latter on a windless day), and you will be amazed.

Have a barbecue on the shores of Lago Cholila and drnk some wonderful Malbecs and cabernets (my cabin fever is a a maximum right now)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.