Fly Fishing Forum banner

Back from the Keys

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Got back yesterday from a few days in Florida. Had a great time and spent Saturday being poled around the flats by Ben Ionatta (a forum sponsor). We saw some huge tarpon but I failed to entice them to the fly. They're quite the sight when seen cruising over a bright sand bottom.
The weather was iffy down there all week with frequent thunderstorms and torrential rain, but luckily Saturday was sunny with justa light breeze. I caught one jack from the boat but saw an amazing and diverse amount of wildlife, including lemon-tip and black-tip sharks and the white wings of eagle rays as they broke the surface.
Most of my other fishing time was spent wading in the Bahia Honda State Park area. This is a beautiful location with clear sandy bottoms in the beach area. I saw just a few bones and some barracuda rocketing by and there were also a few larger, darker shapes lurking out in deeper water. I just caught a few smaller fish (I have no idea what they were) in this area, and nearly caught a nurse shark by accidentally stepping on it. I'm not sure which one of us got the bigger shock.
I have no hesitation in recommending Ben as a guide (he launches mainly out of the Key West area) and he can be found at bigfishonfly.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.