Fly Fishing Forum banner

On the way home from the Clave...

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Lefty 
#1 ·
Well the Clave was winding down on Sunday morning as we all parted at the west wall. I couldn't see another stand and wait session at Weakapaug. So I decided to grab my boat which I left at a friends house near the West Wall and continue east or north on my way home. I decided to try Colt State
park ramp which I've driven by numerous times and heard was good. SO I went across the scary bridge set to Aquidneck (Newport) and up the road to Bristol. Got there and found numerous pods of bait near the ramp then.....slash bang fish wacking them. So I launch, then, of course, never see another fish! I cruised for a few miles in every direction in gorgeous upper Narraganset. What a nice day, no joy. SO I call Grego on the phone and make a sneaky arrangement to meeton the No. Shore. I pull the boat, drive about 100 miles and reluanch up north. Grego meets me at the ramp. On the way out of the river we encounter birds and breaking bass. Grego get's the skunk off right away. They are schoolies and 4 other boats come in so we decide to move on. We cruise down the shore to a spot I had prospected earlier this season that I thought might be promising. We find trapped bait under birds on a beach and cut the motor and cruise in. Wind pushes us in too fast and we spook a school of BIG bass as we see many cruise under the boat. We hang around and sight many more fish and have a few bites and follows. We figure we
spooked them and move back out. Back in open water a small blitz breaks out and we both get a few mid 20s stripers and Grego nails a keeper.. Nice. Then we see the mother of all bird flocks way in this other cove which is blocked by rocks sunken
and otherwise. We cut the motor and drift in. Grego up on the bow sighting rocks. As we get closer they start swimming under the boat. Cows!!
BIG BASS everywhere! There's an outflow from backwater and the bait is trapped and being fed into this cove. It's lined with monsters. In 2-3 ' of water they see us so their lips are tight. But there are schoolies mixed in that are taking. We have lots of action. Then Grego hooks a monster that starts taking off out of the cove dragging us with him. After a nice battle it turns out to be a 10lb blue! Hooked n 2 feet of water?? And we end up 100 yards out of position by the end of that fight. Finally it's getting dark so we have to leave as the whole place is exploding evan more! Treacherous prop eating rock evasion
in and out. We make it back to the ramp at just dark. All in all the cows outsmarted us but the action was incredible. A great end to a Clave weekend. Hardcore was the way I fished all weekend and it finally paid off.

Lefty

See less See more
#3 ·
The way I look at it, it was a Triple Win for me. I saved a couple Hundred miles of diving, AND had one of my best Days on the water, AND got stuff done around the House!

I think we "saw" as many fish as I have on a "good" day at Monomoy.

That Blue gave me a nice muscle strain in me Right for-arm, but it's a good hurt.

Thanks Again Lefty !!!!!

#6 ·
juro said:
What the heck are you doing at work today!?! :devil: Nice score!
I'm in crank mode at work. However my boss informed me that he is taking a 2 week vacation to Italy after Oct. 10th. I believe I'll be in late many mornings during that span :smokin: THEN....I'll be ready to put this season to bed (ok one more cast so I can prove a striper can be landed in Nov., especially with the warm water this year).

Lefty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.