Fly Fishing Forum banner

The Second Coming of Monomoy is HERE

11K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  boatdrinks 
#1 ·
Photo from Monomoy Island Ferry's facebook site:

See less See more
#5 ·
My gut says it's here for the duration, which admittedly isn't all that long but long enough for a lot of memories to be made.

If you're on Facebook check out Monomoy Island Ferry and Monomoy Refuge pages. The video of the incoming flood says this break is here to stay (relatively).

Put it this way, that next break above it is the main Chatham Inlet, and there is a small break the size of the "guzzle" (anyone remember that?) above the lobe that is spilling water making this segment a potential new island (?)

It is for real.

#9 ·
Interesting. I'll start paying more attention if it becomes navigable. It would be nice to have a shortcut to the backside beaches in the summer months. Without better flow it looks like it's going to fill it or say permanently knee deep like the crib...we'll see.

#10 ·
Dave -

Several small boats have navigated it with a reported depth of about 8ft as of yesterday with huge tides going this week and most (myself included) feel that it's going to be around for a while.

Damn even one full season would be the sh*t :)

#12 ·
Monomoy

Hopefully the new cut will bring back both the fishery and the water taxi.

I miss Outermost and their service and with the renewed anticipation from everyone as to what this cut will do to improve the fishing, I am hopeful the cut it will also improve the need and support for their service start up again and keep them running.

I hope we get to see a positive reply about this.

#14 ·
Hopefully if the new break remains open it will bring cooler waters and more stripers back to the Monomoy flats.

When the Southway was open, cool ocean water kept water temperatures on the flats in a range which stripers liked. The Southway also permitted stripers to move from the ocean to the flats. With cooler waters on the flats and easy access for stripers there was great fishing through the entire summer. When the Southway closed water temperatures on the flats rose and the number of stripers dropped, closing down a world class fishery.

If the new break remains open, we are all hoping that the flats fishing will return.

Back when the flats fishing was great, several water taxis used to ferry (for a reasonable fee) dozens of wading anglers to various locations on the flats. It was one of the best locations on the East Coast for the wading angler.

Dan

#19 ·
New break has increased dramatically since this weeks storm blasted the coast. Latest video on https://www.facebook.com/ChathamSouthway shows the distance to the new "South Island" or with the land bridge over the old southway South Monomoy extension :Eyecrazy:

There is no doubt that the refuge will be fresh this summer.

#21 ·
LOL - indeed he will. ****** used to visit the refuge often before the old southway closed up, seals were there in large numbers and he knew where to "get a bite".

One of my most memorable encounters was down at J bouy with two clients. Fish were on the humps and we were wading deep when the harbormaster came over and told us to back up. Puzzled, I asked why and he said "just seen a white shahk".

I asked when did you see it last and he said "just motored over it". We scrambled back and moved further up toward the big flat across from the crib :Eyecrazy:

#24 ·
Haven't heard anything, but that's a good point about the 'gooseneck' down there. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of washover though. I could ask around down at the fish dock, the commercials head around a lot maybe soon they'll cut through as well :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.