Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly line color

3K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  old man 
#1 ·
I would like to poll the forum members for their take on fly line color.

Since Steelhead are not color blind (or so I believe), does the orange or bright yellow lines, for example, spook the fish? Does the lines added visibility to the fisherman outweight any such concern? Are such bright lines okay on sunny days, yet not so great on ones with a dark overcast?

What about the gray or brown or green lines? Does a fluorescent green line detract or not?

If this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it, so please pardon any perceived duplicity.

Steven

#2 ·
A couple things..

1. steelhead are not leadershy.. If they were i wouldn't be catching them in crystal clear water with 10 lb maxima.

2. dark colors are easier to see in the water, thats why we often use black and pruple, so it stands to reason a dark colored line would be more visible to the fish and a bright color less visible.

3. by the time a fish is seeing your flyline it has likely seen your fly swing past at least once. Since most steelhead take a fly on the first pass having them spooked by your line will rarely result in fewer hooked fish.

4. if a sled going overhead doesn't spook them then neither will your flyline regardless of it's color

#3 ·
I routinely fish up at Fortson on the Stilly in the middle of the Summer. The water loses all flow and more or less gains an unlimited visisibilty.

I've fished many differnt lines up there and have never noticed a differance in hook up ratio between the green and oragne SA Steelhead Tapers.

...but I can tell you, the orange Steelhead Tapers are much easier to see!!!

#4 ·
Keep it up guys, I really need to hear this stuff after I recently bought two SA Steelhead Tapers in orange by mistake (having ordered the mist green). Seems to me I once heard a saying to the effect that good fortune sometimes follows the fool.:eek:

Oow, it's 22 degrees, the wind is howling from the Northeast and I see snow flakes falling lightly. Come on spring, come on spring...

Steven

#5 ·
My favorite flyline color for dry line steelheading is white. It's visible, yet kinda melts right in. PNW skies are often just a whiteish grey in the morning and it just seemed stealthy to me when imaging the fish looking up. It's hard to find the lines I want in white so I just go with the flow, and unless you're sinking the bright part of the line into the pool I'm not sure that the fish really care, provided the fly is swung correctly at 'em.

#6 ·
What's the opinoin on clear lines. Going to buy that new Cortland line,the 555 and I can't make up my mind on the Mist green or the clear. Don't say both because I can't. Limited budget. Retired. Going 5wt as it's for summer fishing. Jim P. S. I'll probly buy it where spanky works. I find it's a good place to shop.

#7 ·
What would you be using the clear line for? It is probably not the best line for mending but good for sight fishing as it *may* keep the spook down.
For everyday trout and steelhead fishing I do not think it would give you an advantage at all.I would stick with the green line.

But for bonefishing on the flats the clear line could provide a great advantage.

-sean

#8 ·
If I was going to fish for bone fish on the flats I would have to get rich quick. I thought that I would use the line for general all around summer fishing. Like the Yakima,and several other rivers in my general area. The only time I would site fish is at a fish farm. My eyes arn't that good. Jim S.:D

#9 ·
old man said:
P. S. I'll probly buy it where spanky works. I find it's a good place to shop.
Hey Old Man, its Sparkey, Sparkey, not spanky!! ;) :D

...and thanks for the kind words.

In regards to your line question, no need for the clear. Clears fish well as slime lines in lakes and in other places were line visibilty is not a factor and stealth is. :)

#14 ·
The exception that proves the rule. Hundreds of species around the world against a handfull of oddballs species. Basic issue is a light color backlit by the sun is more likely to be missed. Nature, and most air forces around the world agree :razz:

#15 ·
I'm not an ornithologist, but I'll bite. A very short list of dark breasted fish eating birds:

The cormorants - many species.

Pigeon Guillemot - Noted for their bright orange-red feet which trail behind in flight.

Frigatebird - Note the very bright red throat.

Adult Brown Pelican, Glossy Ibis, and adult male Anhinga.

In general what you say is true, but give yourself some wiggle room, Philster.;) ...and note the last sentence, second paragraph, on the opening post. Such was the essence of the query.

Oh, and the U-2, SR-71, F-117, B-1, B-2 and B-52 bombers. Very dark but not prone to eating fish.:hehe:

#16 ·
Uh.... First of all, you guys need to fish more... My original post was trying to get someone to think something through that would potentially help them in more than just this one instance. Light colors light background, hard to see? remember? But if you want to nit pick, when I worked for NASA (10 years), I spent my time at Moffett Naval Air Station, and at Edwards Air Force base. U-2, B-52s, and B1s have light colored bellies, generally a light grey/blue. Sorry. As to the 117 and the B2 Stealth planes, the dark colors are a matter of function. The stealth materials used are like the model A... Any color as long as it's black. The SR-71s are also dark because of the material. The paint that survives the expansion that plane undergoes, and the intense heat created when it flies (The fuselage doesn't suffer cracks because every time it flies at potential, it essentially gets heat treated and re-strengthened) is also black. You don't want to know how much time and money went into developing the red white and blue paint that is used in the air force "star and bars" on the blackbird... Shall we discuss some of the birds you mentioned? I'm not aware of all of them so I'll only discuss the ones I know about. Cormorants? Most aren't dive bombers, instead swimming at fish level and hunting their prey. A light belly is useless. Frigate birds feed mostly by stealing the food from other species of birds and I have seen them piss of a few dorado and sails by stealing flying fish forced into the aire. They are not worried about being spotted by fish. Brown Pelicans tend to feed primarily on smaller schooling fish, diving into a mass of bait with their big mouths agape getting whatever makes it's way into their mouth. The bait is often being pushed up from below by other predators. They don't regularly stalk a single fish from above. Some fish eaters perch in trees and dive only when prey is spotted and lined up. Other mostly dark birds have light areas which serve to break up the "bird outline". If you've read this far I did see the last sentence of the second paragraph. An overcast sky is still a light background. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm headed to where my time is better spent. Namely impersonating a hot 19 year old named "Rochelle" in a chat room. I might have a guy willing to send me a plane ticket to florida just in time for tarpon season!

#18 ·
Philster said:
Why do fish eating birds have white or at least light colored tummies?
You didn't qualify those boids further. Bombers, swimmers, bandits; fish eating boids are fish eating boids.:razz:

As for the planes - Those I noted had such color scheme at the Whidbey Island Air Show, excepting the stealth bomber. My resident 14 year old expert concurs. Further, Lockheed pointed out many times to the USAF that shades of gray, black and light blue was far more stealthy for the F-117 but the AF generals rejected their advice stating that such a paint scheme of pastels was not "manly" and didn't fit their image. So much for function.

And I won't even touch the "Rochele" issue. I don't need my hands slapped twice in one week.:tsk_tsk:

I "should" be fishing more...

#20 ·
Philster,

Thanks for taking this discussion good-naturedly.;)

I've pretty much been a believer in the arguement that you advance, yet find the forum "experts" opinion regarding whether or not Steelhead are leader shy, convincing. Seems hard to argue with their collective success.

As far as "landlocked" Steelhead, no can do. I gave up lake fishing when the high-speed boats and fish finders became vogue, expecting proximity fused concussion lures ( a high tech version of the old red TNT plug) to soon follow. I went total FF-C&R on the skinny waters (only to find the techie trend here as well - Jet sleds and handheld side-scanning fish finders).:(

I think I need to find some bolder strewn, ultra-skinny water to fish. Any suggestions on that one?

#22 ·
Old man,

Ha, my skills indeed. You forget I've seen your febble attempts at casting; you could put down a feeding school of piranha, sir. Seriously, June 1st sounds good. By then you may have finally figured out that you tie your leader to the end of your fly line and NOT the end of the rod.:razz:

#23 ·
Watersprite... I just may even know where there's a small creek or two. They may even have beaver dams on them :smokin: 'Course we're talking hypothetical here. I also know some lakes you might like with no motors (well... the little electric egg beaters are allowed) allowed. Not to mention a slough or two where bass and panfish as big as your hand can be found when it warms up a tad... As non techno as it gets. Heck I'll even bring out my old early 80s fenwick eagle and some Made in the USA Medalists if it makes you feel better :-D FF and C&R aren't just for those salt cured torpedo shaped fish with the shiny silver scales you know!

#25 ·
Beaver ponds with dries are cool... But running a sculpin clouser right at the base of the dam and releasing a 17 inch brookie was pretty cool last year too!:razz: With a little portage help your canoe would rock not only on the lakes, but on the sloughs too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.