Fly Fishing Forum banner

Favorite Fly???

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Venture 
#1 ·
So there you are. June 20th.....maybe on the Matapedia......maybe on the Bonaventure......maybe on the York. You got a beautful head of water.....and got to the pool first. Takes a #4 - $6......nice water. The light is nice and dim......early morning. A little fog in the air....just like you like it. Right at the top of the pool.....nice head flowing in.......what Fly to you tie on.

I myself have loved a bastard form of the black dose. Or perhaps a black bear green butt.......nice floressent Green.....maybe with a little flash. Thats my fly. But I am learning to trust some other patterns at what we call the "prime time".

I am curious......we all have our one or two favorites...... What's your's????? As we sit at our benches......some of us need some inspiration......

#2 ·
Ahhh ... to dream ... perchance to angle ...

If I thought that the flow required a #4, I'd probably try a Restigouche Black Dose. A Black Bear Green Butt (or Glitter Bear) is always a good call.:hihi:

I guess that's what Howie said!:)

If I wanted to run a #6 through, I'd be tempted to tie on a Red-headed Undertaker. It's the classic Warren Duncan pattern with a blood red head. This pretty fly has worked for me on a number of rivers as a 'first fly of the day.'

Another favorite is a slightly modified version of the Roger's Fancy. I had a ton of Highlander-green coloured flies, so I tied my version with a very dark emerald-green floss body. As well, I use some evil-looking yellow-green fluorescent plastic stuff for the butt. It's hard for me not to pull this out as the 'first fly' on any green river.

HMMM ... I noticed a commonality here - everything but the BBGB has some peacock in it. Ooops ... deep dark fishing secret revealed!:chuckle:

Jim Corrigan

#6 ·
It looks like green/black, yellow/green, red/yellow, silver/grey. No wonder why so many patterns that stand the test of time revolve around these combinations of colour. I can think of various highly popular flies tied with these combinations.

After tying all to specification, does it really matter. We know they like Green black, and perhaps even some flash. So how about a juicey black/green muddler:

Tail : Dark Turkey wing
Body : Flourencsent green flash dubbing
Ribbing ; Fine Silver
Wing: sparce flash under black squrrel under dark turkey
Throat and head.......clipped black deer hair.

Looks Killer.......in size #2 - #6.......... Something about a nice fat muddler.

#9 ·
Andre,

The "Serge Vincent" looks like a killer. Perhaps you can publish the "official pattern....and we can all fish it....in memory of your friend. Great idea to celebrate the life and passion of our past friends. I am sure if you fish the "Serge" you will get a nice one...... "HE" will see to that....

Gives me the idea to immortalize some of the past pioneers of our sport......like Lee Wolff. Perhaps we should design a fly called the "Darbee" for Harry and his wife Elsie. He loved sparce and reduced patterns.

Also we could develop a Schneider for Lori Schneider. And lets not forget George Maul......and make a fly called the Mauler. I am sure if we mixed some black and green around, or some red and yellow, or silver and grey......we could come up with some winners that would immortalize some of the past souls that deserve to be remembered...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.