Fly Fishing Forum banner

Favorite fly?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Buzz 
#1 ·
I'll be on the NW Miramichi later this month, and I have no idea which flies to bring along. This will be my first salmon trip. Anyone have some suggestions?

#2 ·
hi,i don`t know about the salmon in the U.S.but if i should suggest a pattern try to get your hands on the river mörrum speciality called "ullsok"it is tied with 3 hackles,front,mid.and rear about 3mm red wool as tail,body usually just black tying tread or bronce peacock hearl,hackles are dark burnt orange.a variation called "the 89`er" last hackle changed to the red breast feather from gold pheasant and 2 straws of flash are added to the mid section.thigt lines!

#3 ·
Be sure to bring lots of variations on the buc bug. Green machines, smurfs, shady ladies in multiple sizes. Dark patterns like a black bear/green butt, conrad, or blue charm are necessary. Shrimp patterns like Alley's shrimp, tippet shrimp. or GP should be included. A brighter pattern like a cosseboom, green highlander or silver rat /silver doctor would round out the wet flies. Three flies you don't often hear about, but which I always take to the Miramichi are the salmon mickey finn, chief needahbah, and the bonehead. Dry flies should include some bombers and some Wulffs.

Of course, your other option is to ask your guide what you should bring or to call Doak's fly shop in Doaktown. Be prepared to be told that "all your green machines should have glitter tails" or something like that. Like all areas of the world, they always seem to have something new or different that it's claimed will work best.

#4 ·
I wouldn't be caught anywhere without an assortment of Blue Charms, Thunder and Lightnings, Green Highlanders, Green Cosseboom(tyed with light green phentex wool) and Dusty Millers, for wets. Although I have a buddy who fishes the Miramichi, who has had good success with the Interval Blue(I've never moved a fish with it though...).
For drys, Bombers of course, in assorted colors (although the grey to tan body with light orange hackle and white calf tail wing and tail produce best here), Orange bugs and a few Wulffs.
I think these flies will fish about anywhere.
Tight lines!
Sayow

#6 ·
No one has mentioned size. An all-around size for your wet flies would be a #8, but you should have some 6's and 10's. As far as Bombers go, the most used size would be about 2 1/2" long, but I like them alot longer. When all else fails, try a Green Widow. My $0.02

#9 ·
Like Charlie said, about the only way to lose a fly is in a fish. However depending on the distance from shore you are fishing, you could lose a few on your back cast in foiliage and break a few on rocky shores.
I agree with Smolt too, bring along an assortment of sizes, because the water conditions will dictate a larger or smaller fly, whether the river is high or low. Might not be a bad idea to pack along a few "short takers" or flies tied low water style. Good luck.
Tight lines!
Sayow

#10 ·
So I will need a smaller fly if the river is low? And conversely, a larger fly for higher waters? I'll be sure to take lots of pictures. I haven't fly fished for over 10 years - but I've been out several times in the past few weeks practicing on the Hammond river http://www.asf.ca/OrgsNB/hammond/index.html

My cast is still acceptable. Another fellow in our party has been tying flies for this trip for a few months - we should have a good variety.
The weather here has been really cool and wet - my trip is in a week , and I'm hoping the water levels stay high.

#11 ·
That has been my experience with the fly size/water and Atlantic salmon, big water/big fly, low water decrease your fly size. Or ty them on the same sized hook, but shorten the body well ahead of the point of the hook. This is called tying "low water" or "short taker" here at home. The rivers here are dropping really quickly, right now we have mid-August conditions. Not good. 8's, 10's and 12's are the order of the day now, or 4s and 6s tied short taker. We need rain, and lots of it.
Good luck with your trip, and let us know how you made out.
Tight lines!!
Sayow

#12 ·
Well, I just arrived from a few days on the NW Miramichi. It turns out our party missed a big run of fish the previous week. I checked 5 of 8 pools in our stretch, and found only 1 pool that was holding salmon..and that was on the last day of my trip. I had fished the pool the previous 2 days, and saw 1-2 jump, but didn't spot any fish. Today, there were few that must have come up during the night and were holding. I did manage to hook one today on a green machine. It was 21 inches, and weighed a little over 3 lbs. It was legal size, so I retained it. We had 2 other people in our party fish that same pool later today, but they were not able to hook any fish.
That was my first salmon trip, and my first salmon. I must admit, it was a memorable experience. I've got a few photos I will post when I get the film developed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.