Fly Fishing Forum banner

New to Fly Fishing in Oregon

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  turneffeisland 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
My name is Daniel and I'm currently living in the Oregon City Beavercreek area and I'm just getting started into fly fishing. I've normally fished for Salmon and Steelhead using just spinwheel fishing but thought I'd give this a try. I'm currently using an Echo Solo rod and reel combo at a 5 weight. I guess I'm primarily looking to see what is around the area in terms of trout and which flies you recommend. The Clackamas river is really close to my location as well as Willamette, but I doubt there is any fly fishing going on in the Willamette. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

#3 ·
Yes hit the Clack for starters since you're right there, the Sandy is awesome you also have the Deschutes which is a must summer/fall. If you have a WA license check out the Klickitat, Kalama, Cowlitz is good fun too. Or down the coast you're in a good spot.

#4 · (Edited)
Wish I'd seen your post sooner.
When I lived in Oregon City, I fished the Clackamas religiously. Although my focus was primarily Steelhead, there's a good run of "sea-run" cutthroat that would be fun on your 5 wt. Just up-stream from the Hwy 205 bridge, on the west bank, there's a cluster of submerged boulders -- cast around these in the evening and see what comes up.

If you get a heavier outfit sometime, there are Steelhead in the Clackamas literally year-around. A wonderful fly-drift is about 1/2 mile upstream from the 205 Bridge (river makes a sharp bend at the water intake station -- go about 1/4 mile upstream from there on the east band). This is an early morning, before the jet-sleds start pouring through thing. But I've caught a lot of nice fish there throughout the year, depending on water height and clarity.

The shad run should be going strong on the Willamette as of now. You'll need a sinking line to get down to them, but I've had reasonable luck from shore fishing beneath the 205 bridge. It's much better if you can get out in a boat -- just fish where you see the other boats upstream from Clackamette Park. Get your fly down deep and hold on. Should be a blast on a 5-wt.

Good luck. You'll find there's plenty of fishing within a few miles of home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.