Fly Fishing Forum banner

recreational fisheries management

2K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Aaron 
G
#1 ·
There are two interesting articles on recreational fisheries management strategies in teh current issue of Fisheries (American Fisheries Society journal). You can access the articles at: http://www.fisheries.org/fisheries/fishery.shtml

Although the articles focus on freshwater fisheries, many of the issues addressed are applicable for salt water fisheries as well. Anyway, food for thought.

Aaron

#2 ·
Great reference! (I enjoyed the last article on northwest salmon diversity immensely as well).

The Whirling Disease article scares the crap out of me. I do not think humans can better the naturally occurring species by interbreeding with resistant strains and replacement of wild populations.

G
#3 ·
Glad you liked the diversity article... that will surely be a hot topic for years to come. I'm hopeful that groups such as the ASMFC will incorporate that type of information into their management plans for stripers.

Re: whirling disease, crossbreeding, hatcheries, etc - I liken it to kids playing with matches. the kids know nothing, or very little, about matches, fire, etc, and most of the time their fun with matches amounts to nothing. But potentially/eventually, things get out of control and the house burns down. To a great extent, whirling disease in North America is the result of such actions, and now to throw lighter fluid on the fire? Frustrating, hmm? Interesting times.

Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.