Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cat island--DIY

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rhayes03 
#1 ·
Hi
I need some info on DIY on Cat island bone fishing,,tarpon in the lakes etc...Will rent a car while I am there....Will also hire a guide for a day or 2,,any ideas on guides???
The DIY part is the important part,,,any bits of info will be helpful...I am on a family vacation and got stuck going to cat, instead of andros or acklins,,I need to make the best of it..
Thanks
blueh20

#2 ·
Due to the eco-tourist lodging opportunities I almost went there... but an aerial scan revealed very little compared to other Bahamian Islands and decided to go to Acklins that year. Soooooooo glad I did.

But I have heard that there are good bones there prowling the shoreline, just not huge flats sprawling endlessly for miles like other islands. Find salt creeks with sand deltas and you should be in fat city.

#3 ·
Cat Island Bonefish

I have fished on Cat each of the last 3 years. We always stay at Fernandez Bay Village (FBV), excellent.

There is DIY Bonefishing at Smith's Bay, about a mile north of FBV, take a bike there or kayak (they're free at FBV) up the creek south of FBV and fish the flat where the creek returns to Exuma Sound. These flats are low tide flats, at high water the fish are way up in the mangroves.

As for guides, Mark Keasler at FBV is great to fish with! Entertaining and knows what he's doing. He manages FBV with his wife, also. There is a Bahamian, name escapes me, who has gone Hollywood after being in a TV fishing show as a mate on an offshore wahoo trip. He now thinks he's worth $600/day, forget it.

Headed to Mayaguana in May!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.