Fly Fishing Forum banner

best 6-7wt. reel in this price range?

8K views 64 replies 19 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
for my 6 weight, maybe with a 7 weight

uses: mainly for bigger alaskan trout, but maybe for smaller steelhead and bones

my ideas:
ross rythym 3 or 3.5
lamson velocity 2 or 3
ross evolution 3

ideas?

#27 · (Edited)
I have been looking at reels in a similar price range and I have about decided on new the Sage 2580D. Its very light weigt and highly corressive resistant. Holds plenty of line for bonfish. I know of tests at Cape Lookout where it was used for Flase Albies and the drag took it even when tightened way down. Sells at $370. Plan to use it for those long walks on the flats with a 7wt. They also make a 6/7 for a bit less but I like more line for bonefish.

#29 ·
It always amazes me that there more expensive traditional cork drag models require the least maintenance. My Billy Pate marlin is about 12 years old and has had plenty of abuse. It still comes out of its pouch and "purrs". :smokin:

It seems that the more expensive the reel, the less complicated the drag and, hence, ease of maintenance.

I wonder why that would be? Lower manufacturing cost to install a sealed unit vs sticking a piece of cork (or suitable substitute) to the frame? :confused:

#31 ·
" wonder why that would be? Lower manufacturing cost to install a sealed unit vs sticking a piece of cork (or suitable substitute) to the frame? "

Seems to me that you don't know what are you talking about:confused:

Before Danielsson split with Loop HD reels cost around $700.
Tibor reels for example are offer to shops and guides ( trust me…..) at 40 -45% discount.

Since Danielsson sells its reel directly ( no Loop middle man ) we can all buy for what fly shops or guides used to pay.

The drag system is sealed and based on multiple carbon and steel discs ( similar material used in formula 1 cars).
Look at HD, FW or LW disck and you will know what I am talking about!
No hydroplaning effect.

http://www.danielsson-flyreels.se/us/bromsteknik.php

see pictures

The drag works smoothly in all situations, regardless of high or low temperature, without changing brake torque.
To design a drag that maintains the chosen torque setting, the drag material cannot be flexible. (If the dimension changes with temperature etc., the torque will be changed). Neither can the drag be lubricated, since lubrication introduces inevitable friction changes as temperature, load and rotation speed change. Cork was therefore completely inconceivable.
Our experiments led to a carbon composite, stable up to 2000° C and extremely wear resistant. The advantages of this choice are obvious: the brake torque stays invariable independent of rotation speed and temperature. This decreases the risk of breaking a leader, fatigues the fish faster and gives you better control so you can concentrate on the fish and not on adjusting the drag.

It's impossible to design a good drag system without sealing it. Reels with drag systems that aren’t properly sealed can be used in dry conditions, but when the drag comes in contact with water the friction changes dramatically. Water planing can be the result and with that you lose control of the fish. Since Danielsson reels are completely sealed they still maintain all their functional qualities when wet.

#33 ·
Salmo -

The traditional high-end "unsealed" cork drag has been a staple of many anglers and Adrian makes a good point - he certainly does know what he is talking about. The drags in Abels, Tibors, Islanders, etc are very reliable if cared for. Combination drags like Bauer, Gilmore, use both traditional cork material and modern synthetics together, which makes them easier to care for.

I am an ultra-satisfied Danielsson reel owner and love the sealed drag, in fact I can't think of many other reels that have a "real" sealed drag despite having owned most (if not all) of the ones who claim it. They turned out to be kinda sorta sealed which doesn't cut it. The LW and HD have ended my search. The aesthetics suit my tastes to a "T".

However the traditional cork drag is a proven system and with care as effective as any system on the market and some people understandably prefer it. I think these reels have proven it's possible to make a good drag without sealing it, the difference is the amount of care each requires.

#34 ·
salmo said:
It's impossible to design a good drag system without sealing it..

Salmo since you're such an expert maybe you can explain why Tibor and Abel, with their non-sealed designs hold more IFGA records that all other reel companies combined. Also I am also curious why they are the top choice of big game anglers worldwide and considered the benchmark of quality and craftsmanship? Why do people still buy them, considering they use a draw-bar design that hasn't changed in nearly 30 years?

Maybe they need to use more parts from formula 1 cars to catch your interest :rolleyes:

Let's see how your forumula 1 drag design stacks up to this track record in 25 years...if they are still around :razz:

#35 ·
Conversely, I have no doubt that the drag designs on the Evotecs could have set these same records. Danielsson reels have passed the test of time and performance over the years and are a much evolved reel.

Reputation has driven your more traditional designs for decades and word of mouth is probably one reason why you chose them too. Hard-earned reputation indeed, but evolution is inevitable.

I know firsthand how much time owners put into care of these traditional designs verses what my newer reels require. Cork is nice but over the course of the reel's lifetime more work than I feel is necessary especially when options like the Evotec drag are available at half the price. When factoring in the maintenance, price - just not my everyday choice.

However I want to get some real classics for my collection and I don't care how much care they take. Maybe a Bogdan someday.

#37 ·
All good points and don't get me wrong - I like the design of the Daneilsson and it looks like a good value for most inshore applications.

Frankly I thought Tibor reels were over-priced until I had the opportunity to use them on big fast-running pelagics. This is where they shine. My purchase was based on first-hand experience, not reputation or stuff I read on the web.

Not sure what maintenance you are referring to. You only need to back off the drag, give the handle a spin under running tap water and let it dry. Mine looks/works like brand new despite taking a beating on big fish, dunks in the salt and drops in the boat.

Regarding Adrian's post about price/durability/maintence: IMHO this is a proven combination of few moving parts that are very high quality, overbuilt, and hand-assembled in the USA.

I don't mean to start a pissing match about who has the better reel, but to claim that exposed draw-bar cork drags are inferior is ridiculous :smokin:

#40 ·
still looking for a versitile reel?

If you haven't found quite what you are lloking for, you might want to check out the Islander reel company. they are located in victoria bc in canada. They have been around for quite a while now and manufacture top notch reels. Single action is their game. I know a few outfitters on the west coast that use them exclusively for their depndability and toughness. It will be worth your while to check them out.

#41 · (Edited)
Yes.... The Islander... another well known cork drag.... as in all things too many movable part cause problems sometimes and repairs can be difficult.... if you have a problem with the cork, and if you did not use the "minimal" maintanance... Abel and the other companies can "simply" send you another cork drag...or you send it in and they replace the cork.... I agree and most will as well that the cork is always been the smoothest and least maitanance and historically the best... if the sealed drag locks... and they do.... well... and... I do know what I am talking about. PS.. What did Fulflex mean...I would like to know!!!!!! just curious....like "where did that come from"

#42 ·
have a corroded old CFO V that sees light salt duty 6-7-8. It hasn't let me down yet. It's a timeless design, rendered ugly by corrosion, yet it still sings. I like that. I also use a Loop/Daniellsson when I'm feeling more space age.

The CFO V can be had used, cheap, because most everyone these days seems convinced that you need a strong drag on a 7 wt

#43 · (Edited)
I have the old CFO 1, 2 and 5...Clic and paul... a great reel... actually made by hardy.... a CLASSIC... one that will out lve many reels today... but can't use in it salt ... ask one of the posters if it can? after all I don't fish in salt....!!! Adrian.. I have known you for years and You do know what you are talking about.

#44 ·
i guess the point is that there are tons of great reels out there and there is probably one that you like the best. danielson doesn't have the market cornered on sealed drags. don't get me wrong, they are great reels. from a fly shop perspective especialy in the USA they are a real pain in the ass. going direct to the consumer is great for them but bad for shops. you won't find many shop folks that will talk well of them because of this. i also like to support american companies, since there are so many good ones around. one more nail in the coffin of fly shops that we all claim to love so much, but support so little.

#45 ·
This one seems to bring out some real emotional responses :)

John - As a regular fishing partner I know you've played the field as broadly as anyone but you've never tried one of these reels so you really don't have the whole picture with reliable sealed drags worthy of SW. I've played the field pretty broadly myself (albeit not as many designs you have) but I have tested this drag design extensively and can honestly say this is the only sealed drag I can stand by for SW wading and beach use based on ownership of several other designs I will not badmouth here. I do not own a Charlton.

Nick - I buy everything from flyshops, even when it costs a bit more because the wisdom is priceless. I make a concerted effort to educate people who have gear and no clue why they don't - because they bought from warehouse catalog stores instead of shops.

In fact other than a few things at craft stores like knotting needles this is the ONLY thing I do not buy from fly shops because I can't. I can't feel like I am 'nailing any coffins' here.

Also, if there is another sealed drag of this level of saltwater reliability please let me know which one and I will gladly evaluate it in the field this season and provide a truthful report.

#46 ·
Juro, reels are always in the top 5 in terms of fly shop profit. they account for a large part of the picture. have you used a nautilus ccf? have you used a bauer mz? believe me i understand that danielson is a sponsor but saying their sealed drag is the shiznit while not having used the others is a tad one sided. i will gladly provide you with a demo to put to the test. i don't fish salt water, so i would really apreciate a side by side comparison. the price thing has danielson ahead by a long nose but i don't believe their reels are any better than nautilus ccf or bauer in the sealed drag market. i have a bauer mz 7 ready to take the test anytime.

#47 ·
My go to reel is my 16 year old Tibor Everglades. With maintainence it has been superb.
Last Spring I picked up a Orvis Mach III at our local Orvis Outlet store for $130. So far I have caught Bonito, Bluefish, Stripers, Albies, king salmon & steelies on it. I like the light weight and simple design. It has been up to the task w/ good stopping power and smooth drag..... I have been very pleased.

Next I hope to use it with my 7 wt. for Eleuthera bonefish in late June. I'll have the Tibor on the 8 wt. ;)

BTW: my first reel was a Lamson .... it's 18 years old and still works fine! I've landed some pretty nice Lake Ontario salmon & steelies on it.
FWIW: Unlike my buddies Ross reels..... the Lamson has never froze up on me during winter fishing.

Hope this helps!

#48 ·
Juro... I can not disagree...you are right... I don't own a non cork reel... so I only speak from my personal likes.... I just know that the maintenance is easy and they are reliable... this is not to say that sealed drags are not.

Jim, my first reel for salt was a lamson as well.... but after a couple beers, maybe 5 years ago, I traded it to Hawkeye for his reel.... It is one of those reels that is on my mantel at CAC.... he knows why... but it was and is still a great reel.

#49 ·
Nick - I hear you brother on the uphill battle, in fact having visited your shop last fall I have to say we need to keep you open, that is one of the most fully outfitted and well stocked shops I've seen.

Here's my tale...

When another company came out with an affordable sealed drag years back I got very excited about it as did many others on this site. I bought into the dream. A season or two later we all found out the gory truth - the reel could not take saltwater use.

Another reel came out with the same promise, and I got excited about it here as did many others. We all bought into it. A season or two later, we had more expensive and reels with corrosion and functional issues in the so-called sealed drag system.

This was the experience for thousands of saltwater hardcore anglers. I understand your perspective and respect it but you got to respect this too, we already paid the price. I am a consumer who has voted into these other companies with hundreds of dollars. As much as I might care about the shop owner, and I do, I have paid and paid already.

As far as the two you named, I've owned two Bauers and a Nautilus CCF although the Bauers are not the sealed Z's. I love them.

I hope to try the Bauer MZ out this season. By the way the cork / synthetic drags on even the older Bauers is pretty sweet.

Way off topic... what was the original question on this thread? :D

#50 ·
striblue said:
Jim, my first reel for salt was a lamson as well.... but after a couple beers, maybe 5 years ago, I traded it to Hawkeye for his reel.... It is one of those reels that is on my mantel at CAC.... he knows why... but it was and is still a great reel.
John,

That reel, that trade and those good old days will always be remembered. Next time I am at the CAC I am going to take some macro shots of that reel, I'd bet in Hawkeye's hands it landed some BRUTES too. :)

#51 ·
My earlier point was a simple question actually.

I'll try to re-phrase it because I know my English can be difficult for folks to understand at times :lildevl:

When I take apart a top end cork drag reel and look inside I see something of great simplicity and elegance. I own Pate, Abel, Islander and Fin Nor. I also have a Loomis synchrotech that is almost as good. Very few moving parts and hence, not much that can go wrong. Maintenance is a breeze. Ask Lefty and he'll tell you to do nothing more than rinse them down after a hard days fishing.

I own and have taken apart a number of low-budget reels with so-called sealed drags. By the way, I don't consider Danielson a low-budget reel. It looks like a great product and I'll probably own one one day. When I take apart a budget priced reel I see so many bit and pieces it's hard to remember how to put the thing back together.

So here is my question:

How can it be cheaper to assemble a cheap 'sealed' drag than to stick a piece of cork or synthetic substitute on the frame of the reel? And, why seal up the one part of the reel that is going to need some TLC? Unless of course its such a complicated assembly that once taken apart the reel is toast. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.