Fly Fishing Forum banner

Penobscot

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  titleguy 
#1 ·
Any news on the May season on the Penobby?

Jim Y

#4 ·
Gayland's a great guy, and a talented rod builder/fly tyer. The rods I use are made by him, including the one in my mouth on my avatar. Anyway, if you fish the river always stop in and see him in Veazie.

Tight Lines,

Jim Y

PS: off to Russia first 2 weeks of June!

#5 ·
As of May 26, 140 Atlantic Salmon have entered the trap at the Veazie dam on the Penobscot River. This one of the best starts in the past 10 years, Usually there aren't that many in the trap until the first week in June. The run is early and hopefully is an indication of a good survival rate for this year's salmon runs on all rivers.

As a side note: An acquaintance of mine caught and released the first bright salmon on the Restigouche River on May 19th. Guides estimated her weight to in the 40 lb. range.

Earle Fletcher

#9 ·
The regs for the season allowed a total of fifty fish to be "caught". The regs also required that no fish be removed from the water ( i.e. no pics). Finally, it was one and done- once you got "your fish" you were done for the year. The season fiftieth fish was released yesterday morning, about 12 hours short of the close of the season. Folks up here are pretty happy about. The river is by no means "recovered", but to be able to fish for slamon again in an American river is still pretty exciting. Given that in the two previous fall seasons a total of 4 fish has been caught, I guess the Penobscot really is a spring river.:D

I will be chasing the striped ones out there today.:hihi:

#10 ·
To me this is unequivocal proof that NO ONE cares more about the well being of these magnificent creatures than the catch and release angler, all actions on the American salmon's behalf are rooted in this passion.

And we can never underestimate the power of simply providing habitat and letting the fish do what they know how (much better than we think we may know).

Great stuff, thanks.

#12 ·
There was a lot of controversy about this spring season. Some people said "Hey, we're open for business", others refused to fish,. But as you said Juro- nobody cares more than the "C&R" angler. Water temps are still low (60 or lower) mortality is probably low. The bottom line though is that a lot of guys who have been fishing this river longer than I have been alive (44 yrs last week) didn't even fish- but they clubs were open for business. The Penobscot Unified Salmon Club has been waiting for 9 years for this day- they still did their river work, raised their parr, cleaned the clubs, tied flies and raised money and this year it paid off. BTW, I didn't fish- too busy, plus the Clave, Little League, etc., but maybe next year. The great thing is, I live 20 miles away from the only Atlantic fishing in the US ( We did striper fish today- no joy, but great boat ride.)

Keep up the enthusiam Gents.

See you OTW:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.