Fly Fishing Forum banner

Do fly vise jaws wear

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Penguin 
#1 ·
I have a ~8-10 yr old Renzetti saltwater traveller vise that's starting to spit hooks out no matter how I adjust the jaws. I'm wondering whather I just 'lost the touch' for clamping a hook, or whether my vie jaws have bent or worn in some way. Visually, I can't see any obvious damage, but am also not sure what the jaws were supposed to look like.
Has anyone else seen vise jaws degrade with time?

#2 ·
Josko

I have the same model also 10+ years old.

I can't say I've noticed any deterioration yet and I have given it some abuse e.g. clamping on 8/0 Gami's:lildevl:

I'll have a closer look when I get home and try to post a pic.

#3 ·
My Renzetti jaws have started to slip a little. As a result I have had to tighten the adjustment screw more and more and finally broke it last week.

The good news: replacement parts are avail from Renzetti.

The bad news: they are not cheap.

Did a little tying on the old, non rotary vise yesterday. Made me realize how much easier the true roatary is to work with.

#5 ·
still going strong

I have the thumb screw but when I bought the vice the shop threw in an oversized thumb-screw for free to help with big hooks

Still hangin' tough on a 6/0 Gami

..as well as a size 26 dry fly ...

#7 ·
Josko,

Over the years, I've had the jaws of many vises wear out. The good news was some of them had replacements available like your Renzetti. Once your vise jaws start to slip, there is little you can do about it and the best thing I've found is to simply pony up and buy a new set, which are a lot cheaper than a new vise. Besides, the new, non-slipping jaws will cause a whole lot less frustration and make tying enjoyable again, like it should be.

Remember, there is no magic number of years any given person can get out of a set of vise jaws because everyone ties different numbers of flies/year, ties different sizes, and uses different tension to hold the hook.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.