Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fun with Chemicals

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
No not what you think!

Here's a way to reinforce and stiffen braided nylon loops. After doing the splice thing to make the loop, drop a blob of Performix VIP vinyl/leather repair glue on a piece of paper and roll the loop in it to coat it with a layer of vinyl. It's available at any hardware store and is pretty cheap.

I'll admit this treatment method has not stood the test of time for me but already since I've tried it the results are promising and definitely better than not treating it.

This is like an easy aquaseal, obviously not as ballistic as it but damn good for the purpose listed above.

Nice way to seal up those nail knots once attached to the flyline as well.

I am going to use this stuff to coat a strip of bright backing that is pulled over a one-color flyline to tell me where I need to strip to load the rod properly (visual aid for spey and flats rapidfire).

Will post more results in this track once I have some hours logged on it.

Juro

See less See more
#2 ·
Was at the depot and picked some of this stuff up. Just cut my 7/8 grandspey and used this stuff to seal the loops. We will see what happens but it looks pretty good. Man is it noxious though.

If I lose a fish and/or tip I will blame it on you:devil:

-sean

#3 ·
My olfactories must be old. I can't even smell the stuff!

I don't think it contains tolulene though... which may not smell as nice but.... :eyecrazy:

BTW - you know what they say, you can't shine a turd. Don't blame the glue ;) ;) :devil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.