Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage Fli or TFO TiCr

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
hi i am new to this forum but have been fly fishing for a couple of years now. last year i bought a Sage Fli and i loved it. but recently i was fishing at a local stream and i laid my rod down to go talk to a friend and when i returned i found that another fisherman stepped on it and broke it. i sent it back to sage because of the lifetime warranty but it got lost in the mail. luckily i had put insurance on it so i recieved full restitution for my rod. i was wondering if i should purchase the Sage Fli again or buy a different rod of equal value such as the TiCr. i really liked my sage but i've read many testimonies on how well other rods preformed.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

nick

#2 ·
You know how the Sage performs for you. Go to a fly shop and have them rig up a TFO so you can cast it out on the lawn. See what you think. You may or may not like it as much. I would bring your reel & the line you used with the Sage.

I bought my wife a FLi 5wt. I think it is a wonderful rod

#3 ·
Nick,

The TFO TiCr has a much stiffer butt and much faster taper than the Sage Fli. This doesn't mean it is not a decent rod, it means that it has a much different casting feel and action than the Sage Fli.

As Warren already suggested, the best thing to do is take the line and reel you have been using on the Sage Fli to a shop that has the TFO TiCr and cast it with them, then make your decision. This way you will be making a very informed decision since you know the way the Sage Fli casts. This will keep you from getting caught up in the hype many inexperienced fly fishers put out when a new rod is put on the market, especially if it is a rod in the same price range as the one you have been using.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.