Fly Fishing Forum banner

cancun inquiry

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  flatslammer 
#1 ·
Anyone with connections in Cancun for guided bonefish/tarpon/snook trip? Worth going to Cozumel? Trip to Ascension Bay safe for family? Flies recommended to tarpon in April? Thanks. JLD

#4 ·
I've been there twice - fished the Isla Blanca area and stayed in Cancun. In April you will have opportunities at Tarpon and Snook but likely few bones or permit that arrive in the middle of the summer. Bill Kiene has a shop in Sacramento and has a web site and probalby knows more about the area down there than anyone - I would check with him.

#5 ·
Went out for a half day (evening) trip for baby tarpon with Rodman Hunter on Feb. 7 with my wife and 6 year old daughter. That's all I had time for and really just wanted to check things out. Great trip in the bay right behind the hotel zone. I think he is the only one who has a license for this area. Very exciting 4 hours, my daughter will never forget it. Had a couple 20 pounders on as they did the acrobat thing right by the boat but came unbuttoned. Finally went to a spinning outfit right at dark and hooked up an 8 pounder that took around 15 minutes to subdue. When the fish was along side the boat a 12 foot croc came out of the mangrove and tried to eat it. Rodman was poking it with the pole and the croc was snapping the pole and hissing for all it was worth. My wife is taking pictures, it's pitch dark and my daughter is having the adventure of a lifetime. We get the tarpon in the boat and release it when Rodman says to my daughter; your pretty brave to be in the crocodiles house when it's dark outside. Well with that I think she realized her suroundings and that was it, time to head back. This guy was real pro and family friendly. The fishery looked absolutely awesome. We are going out with him again when we return. My daughter says she wants to go during the day but also stay out longer.
Pete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.