Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cancun surf fishing?

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Spock 
#1 ·
I am headed down to Cancun Friday and was wondering if anyone had any idea about fly-fishing in the surf. I am going out with guide for tarpon but was wondering about jacks in the surf or anything that might entertain me while my wife and daughter play at the beach. Staying at Dreams on the very northern tip of the 7. Any help would be appreciated.
thehooker.

#3 ·
Not sure about this early in the year but during the summer Tarpon migration, they can be targetted in the surf further South in the Punta Allen area.

Anywhere in the carribean offers the potential for drag blistering action :smokin:

#4 ·
I always take my rig when on the Yucatan .....we do the "resort thing" from time to time......wind has always been the major issue....and high waves....BUT...with that being said.....yep , as the gentleman above said.....there are bones...always got a few every morning before mother nature forced me to the pool bar....also...
pampano....jacks of many types....and cudas.....or "fly stealers".

#5 · (Edited)
Cancun

Was there on a company trip, in January, a few years back. It was not a fishing trip so I didn't even carry a rod. We stayed at one of the big ocean front hotels and you could see tarpon rolling in the surf at night in the lights from the hotel. This is common for tarpon so you might want to check out bright lights on the beach at night.

#6 ·
Hey thanks guys. Whenever I go I take a rig and fish whatever is available. You might be surprised at some of the catches. When I go to the beach with my girls I sit there for about 20 minutes and then I need some action. Can anyone recomend a leader setup for the surf? Also flies that I might try. I use a nine weight with a floating bonefish taper.
Thanks for your help; thehooker.

#7 ·
I used to go down to the Yucatan a lot to fish for bones/permit/tarpon/snook, and stayed at a number of the lodges south of Cancun (back when I was single and could afford it). Mornings and evenings, I surf fished and usually managed a fish or two, including some nice jacks. Fishing for bones in the surf is more of a crapshoot, but definitely possible, but the most fun is to use a general purpose fly -- e.g., deceiver or something -- and toss it for jacks and the like. As far as a setup, what you have is fine. Wire's only necessary for the barracuda, and a shocker is only necessary for the snook and tarpon, which you may also find roaming the surf. If you want, try a 30-40 lb. shock for the latter, which should be fine for anything other than barracuda or small tarpon. I never bothered, as it was jacks that showed up most often. Have fun -- there's all kinds of stuff out there.

#9 ·
surf fishing

i fish the Yucatan every year and you can catch jacks,cuda's,tarpon,snook and just about anything else that swims in the surf. You should call Boca Paila Lodge and see if they can take you out for the day. Great lodge and great fishing!! If you fish the surf use a 10 wt and a intermediate line to get under the surface chop and make sure you have a wire leader as the big cuda's will make short work of the leader if you dont have one. good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.