Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fort Collins, Co?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BobD 
#1 ·
I just booked a business trip to Fort Collins in a couple of weeks, that somehow ;-) includes a 1/2 day without business. Does anyone have suggestions on a river to spend that day on.

#3 ·
John, i'll be happy to take you fishing. Just let me know when and we can set something up. The runoff is starting and will be cooking pretty good in a couple of weeks so you are looking at a tailwater or a lake. It might be fun to head up to a high mountain lake if you have the legs for it. I am getting to know the south platte pretty well. If you are up to a bit of a drive we could hit the canyon. You will not catch a ton of fish but you have the chance to fish to some trophy rainbows.

#6 ·
That is a good idea, I heard that people are catching a few at Lily Lake. Lily is nice since it is right on the road but that also causes a bit of crowding. I'm heading to the park this weekend to try another lake and will drive past lily getting to the trail head. I'll let you know what i see. I was not aware that the greenbacks are in that lake. I know that the park service has hit some of the lakes with rotenone to kill all of the fish and are reintroducing the greenbacks. It might be better to just let things take their own course. A bit a sad news that you all back east might not have heard. A nine year old boy drowned in RNP this weekend. He fell into the high water near Moraine Park and got stuck under the boulders. We do a lot of hiking and fishing with our kids and news like that really make you realize how fragile life is.

#7 ·
Hi Bob, greenback cutthroat, h'mm sounds interesting and something I'd never see back east. More fish & places to think about.

Brad, thanks for the info you've sent me. The loss of a child is a chilling reminder of what a nice day out with the kids can turn into.

#8 ·
I left Boulder seven years ago. When I was back there I used to guide for the Estes Angler. Are they still there across from the slide.? If I remember correctly Bear Lake and Lily where the first two to receive the greenbacks. I used to fish for them in Lily every spring during run off. If they are still there and spawning they will be very visible all along the dam on the road side of the lake. Lily fished awesome up until summer when it weeded up.

Bob D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.