Fly Fishing Forum banner

First Tarpon Trip - Advice?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Hi guys - long time reader, first time poster...

I have a trip planned for the last week in May to go out with the Robinson Brothers in Apalachicola, Fl for 4 days. I'll be going with a friend who has been fly fishing for the past 8 years HARD. He has taught me everything I know about this sport so far and has been most helpful.

This spring I learned to cast on a Sage RPLXi 9wt and have just fell in love with that rod. I have begun practicing with the same rod in a 12wt which is the what we will be using in FL. The transistion to the 12 wt has been a little tough and it is especially tough trying to learn to cast if from the ready position...

Any words of experience and wisdom that will keep me from just totally embarrasing myself on this Tarpon trip? Anything I should be sure to take with me beyond the rod and a change of shorts?

#2 ·
first bit of advice would be to post this on the bonefish tarpon board on this site, but having said that, there is not much more you can do thatn to practice casting that rod. Practice getting the cast off quickly (no more than a couple of false casts). Most important is to practice accuracy (in challenging conditions if possible). Casting the whole line and being seven feet off the mark is useless. A 5o' cast right into the kitchen would be better. Cast with the wind over your casting shoulder. Practice getting off a quick 20 footer to the side. In tough conditions, those fish can sneek up on you. Staying cool while a school of 1oo# monsters is steaming towards you and the wind is blowing over your shoulder can be tough, so practice as much as you can...really.
You don't have to bring much: hat, sunscreen, polarised specs...that's about it. Your guide will have everything else.
I have heard good things about you guides and the area. You are going to be in for a shock! Post a report when you get back.

#5 ·
Good words of advice from Eddie already. Sounds like you will be there for prime time. All I can add is to learn how to calm your nerves - your first sight of a 150lb fish can do strange things to the neurons and synapses:D Keep practicing like your doing. The 12wt will start to feel like a friendly old jacket after a while.

When Tarpon hit I like to make several hard strip-strikes. Other anglers have different techniques. What is important is learning how to put maximum pressure on the fish. Whilst you're practicing, rig up a few leaders and tie one end to something solid. Wear glasses! Now back up and feel how much weight you can put on the leader. Really lean into it. Build it up 'till it breaks, then do it again, and again and again. You'll find that you have to keep the rod fairly straight, otherwise it will break before the tippet. Max. prssure is good for the fish and good for the angler:) Have a blast, take pics and let us know how it went. Ohh, and welcome to the forum:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.