Fly Fishing Forum banner

12# Sinking Flylines

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Sandman Caranx 
#1 ·
Hallo okes !

I am new to this Forum, I am a South African, I've been Flyfishing for the past 15 years and began to "Exclusively Flyfish" 5 years ago.

What I need is this: a 12wt sinking line with a breakingstrain of 75 lb or higher, to be used for rock and surf fishing in the close proximity of reefs for Giant Kingfish (Caranx ignoblis), I returned From a reasant trip where one is very underguned with only 50 lb tackle, and I need to upgrade my Tackle for next years trip. Any member/s got info on the availadillity of such a line ?

#3 ·
Welcome sandman!

Ah the giant trevally... Sean's recent bluefin tuna adventures has probably got him thinking about core tensile strength ;)

If I can help you get one sent to you let me know.

Please post a picture when you get one to hand. Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun!

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies okes, Smcdermott I'll have a look at thr Rio range, i did a have a peek at there range oneday, but only saw 30.5 core lines in 12#, Will these lines still be able to cast say 25 yards ? I'll go and do a surch on them thanks again !!

Thanks for the welcome Juro !! and thanks for the offer what lines can you get ? The sink rate needs to be around 4-6 IPs for the line I need, a 75lbs will be fine, but if I can get 100lbs................ oh man!!!!!!!! that will be good ! I will only have a go at them(Giant Travely) next year this time :frown:

#6 ·
BigDave said:
What kind of backing will you be using with such a heavy fly line?
Man think I am going to go with dacron, but I might consider some kind of braid as well, I like my backing to be 10-20 % stronger than the flyline it self, capacity is not realy a problem, because a long run will get you reefd for cyrtain !!, the moment the fish slams tight , you hold on !! for every inch you offer, it will take 100

#7 ·
Sandman Caranx said:
Thanks for the replies okes, Smcdermott I'll have a look at thr Rio range, i did a have a peek at there range oneday, but only saw 30.5 core lines in 12#, Will these lines still be able to cast say 25 yards ? I'll go and do a surch on them thanks again !!

Sandman,

Here is the link to Rio's site. I had no problem casting these lines. They are stiff and will require a good stretch each time out.

http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/flylines_prodpage.asp?product=21205&useMet=0#chart

Sean

#8 ·
Smcdermott said:
Sandman,

Here is the link to Rio's site. I had no problem casting these lines. They are stiff and will require a good stretch each time out.

http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/flylines_prodpage.asp?product=21205&useMet=0#chart

Sean
Thanks man I bought 1x 500gr intermediate + 1x500gr sinktip Rio Leviathan ($45 each), I bought a new Shilton SL 7 and backed it with 165 yards #80 dacron.

I testcasted the Intermediate and it proved to be somewhat problamatic, I streached it and all but my feeling is that it is a bit hevy for a #12 rod.

I need to develop a new techniqe to cast it efitiantly, and safely , as so far the line travals very low and violantly and ones one start to conect 6/0 to 10/0 hooks it will not be for the faint at heart !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.