Fly Fishing Forum banner

Advice For A Small Stream Bumbler

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  zugbugz 
#1 ·
After one ill-fated attempt at fly-fishing in college, I'm interested in starting again and need some advice. I'm sure a similar question has been asked a number of times before, but here goes. If I'm fishing a small river with some short casting spots and some poking around in tag alders, what type of line do you recommend? I assume that I'd be using some dry flies and some wet. Can I use a single line for both, and what type of taper would be best for my situation. I have some working knowledge of casting, but it's admittedly minimal. Thanks.

#2 ·
You should use the lightest line you can comfortably fish for what you expect to catch. For example a small trout on 4 lb. test is not a problem but if you are hooking onto larger fish and breaking your line off you may need to increase the diameter. You should be able to use the same line for your dry and wet flies.

#3 ·
For dry flies and wet flies in water that's neither very deep nor with a lot of current, a floating weight forward or double taper line will probably serve you just fine. I personally believe a weight forward line casts better in most situations. With floating lines and wet flies and steamers, the old fashioned way is to put some wet fly dressing on the wet fly to make it sink. But, keep in mind that if there is a swift current, that's not going to be enough to get your wet fly to sink as it swings around...for current and wet flies, go with a sink tip line. A line that sinks 3-4 inches per second should do the trick. The faster and deeper the river, the "faster" (sinking) your sink tip line should be.

There are a lot of fine lines on the market. Buy a good one (or two). Premium lines last longer and cast better. Scientific Anglers, Rio and Cortland make some of the best lines around and I'd recommend you start with one of those. A good line costs about $50-60, but is worth it if you plan to stick with fly fishing.

Well good luck and hope this helps!

Don

Zugbugz - Arizona Go :) 's!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.