Fly Fishing Forum banner

loops in frog hair running line

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Steve K. 
#1 ·
Just bought a spool of the new frog hair running line to play with. Its a mono line and seems fairly limp. Hopefully it will perform as advertised and not tangle. Anyway, the stuff is to slick to get a braided mono loop to hold. I found suggestions on the web to use a bimini or perfection loop on this line. But the bimini ties up way to big (maybe thats just my lack of skill wiith this knot) and the perfection loop creates a loop with a fairly ugly lump for a knot. Looping the line back on itself and tieing two nail knots looks like a good solution but the line is so hard the nail knots don't bite well so i'm not sure I trust it. I tried Juro's loop, but the braid over the mono creats a big loop when doubled back, and I not sure if I gain any more strength then I would with just the two nail knots.
Does anyone have any suggestions for creating loops for this line?

#2 ·
How about the otherend as well...

I was just about to post a new message about loops and the butt section of the leader at the flyline, when I saw this post.
I'm using 30 lb. RIO MAX and the loop at the end has this huge rock of a knot,
that I find less than desirable.
I was thinking of possibly putting just an overhand knot in the leader, sliding a braided loop over and glue/nail knotting it in place.
But with out even trying I can see the big "hopper leg" bend I am now creating just in from the loop.

Any Ideas....:confused:
Thanks,
Steve

#3 ·
Steve,
I'm not sure I understand, does the flyline have a loop that you want to attach the leader butt to or does the flyline have the butt section permently attached and the loop you are concerned about is on the leader side of the butt?

It really sounds like a bad knot because the perfection loop I would expect to see in 30 lb mono should be fairly small...

#4 ·
NOT my KNOT...

Buz,

Im talking the loop on the butt section - attached to the loop on the fly line.
I searched for a diagram of the perfection loop - couldn't find any.

What I have is a double surgeon's loop that tends to bunch-up (unless I'm just pulling wrong) The surg. works fine for smaller dia. leaders. But if I'm running a long leader I am leary of it jamming up in the top guide.

I was looking for some other options (the perfection might be it),
possibly I might try doubling over and kevlar thread wrapping, with some flex cement or aquaseal (Anyone ever try this??)

You have a really nice loop out of the Rio line and I hate to have a big lump of a knot attached.

The other answer I was expecting was "shut up and fish! - It's not a problem"

Thanks for the responce,
Let me know if you have seen a perfection loop diagram.

Steve

#5 ·
hi Steve,

I think that just doubling over the mono and whipping it will be a problem Its tough to get a the thread to bite into the hard mono.

Try just a quick google search for the perfection loop. You'll find better descriptions than I could give you.

good luck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.