Fly Fishing Forum banner

Leader/Tippet help

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  GarrettGrahl 
#1 ·
Guys, how do i use my tippet, my leader has gotten down to around 7ft. and i'm supposed to use the tippet, but how?

#4 · (Edited)
cool, um, i was looking on the enternet, and stumbled across an img. showing that you connect your leader to your fly line, with a nail knot.... i always used the 'Loop-to-Loop Connection' so i could remove the leader every time i was done... Should i use the nail knot. I always found it annoying to remove the leader every time (i only did this because the Orvis guy i bought the stuff from told me this), but does it make a difference?
thanx

#5 ·
There's no need to remove your leader after each use. Just reel it up on your spool with your line.

I prefer to attach 12-18" of butt material to the tip of the flyline and then attache the tapered leader to it using a blood knot. I don't care much for loops for attaching leaders, but they do make things easy.

#6 ·
Hi Garrett

The nylon loop to loop conector is very convenient but not great for floating lines since it tends to trap water and micro algae and sinks the tip of the line.Here is what I do.Take a 1x or larger mono leader and attach it to your fly line using a nail knot or nailess nail knot (much easier but needs a special tool to do) then tie a perfection loop in the leader about 3 inches down from the nail knot and trim the excess and voila' a water resistant loop to loop connector (mono will eventually absorb a little water):) that helps to turn over the fly as well:biggrin:

Good luck

Golden sides

#7 ·
Ty cuttbow, it took my FOREVER but I finally got it right, lol. It brings up another question though. When i real up my tippet/leader with no fly, it just goes in my real, is there any trick, so when i role it up, i dont lose my tippet end in my fly line, like so it doesn't get burried.
-Garrett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.