Fly Fishing Forum banner

Gearing up on a budget

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  tomd 
#1 ·
I want to hit those "Bay State Stripers." And still have a combo to hit the rivers as well. Unfortunatley, I'm surronded by some budget equipment and need to upgrade.

I have a Abu Garcia combo #7-8, 9'. That came with a now broken reel. Also on hand is a 8.5' #7 Fenwick.

I'd like to try to stay under $300 if possible.
I'm thinking I make the plung into a nice reel for a good price, like a Redington and hold onto one of the rods for now. I'm just not sure they're up for costal fishing? If so, do I go with a 7/8 or 9/10 reel. Any ideas?

#2 ·
fishon (06-18-2001 08:03 p.m.):
I want to hit those "Bay State Stripers." And still have a combo to hit the rivers as well. Unfortunatley, I'm surronded by some budget equipment and need to upgrade.
The Abu 9ft 7/8 makes more sense than the 7wt, but both are good estuary / schoolie rods.

I'd like to try to stay under $300 if possible.
I'm thinking I make the plung into a nice reel for a good price, like a Redington and hold onto one of the rods for now. I'm just not sure they're up for costal fishing? If so, do I go with a 7/8 or 9/10 reel. Any ideas?
So if I understand correctly you have:

1 - 7wt fenwick
1 - 7/8 9' Abu Garcia
0 - reels
$300 to spend

With this you could one of four things:

a) buy a good reel and hold off on the rod upgrade
b) buy a starter combination in 9 or 10wt
c) buy a starter reel and save the money for a new combo
d) buy a good rod and... well I guess that won't work w/ no reel

Three things I mean ;-)

For (a) choices as you say Redington is a good choice, yet there are a number of good reels in the $300 range to choose from.

The Ross Canyon is only a little more and you will not need to upgrade beyond that. The Lamson LP4 is a solid reel in the $240 range. and the Waterworks Velocity has one of the best drags you can buy (conical sealed delrin large surface area) for under $200 I believe. Drag is important for SWFF. Also check out the Redington RS2 for under $200 - it's a machined wide arbor reel with a solid feel and good looks.

I'll post more info later, gotta go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.