Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cheap light weight FW reel suggestions.

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  saltydog 
#1 ·
OK I bought a 4wt. trout rod at the show. So now I'm looking for a nice little reel to compliment the rod.

I don't need to spend the bucks on a bar stock reel but would like one with a drag and that is lightweight. Probably a composite?

All suggestions, recommendations and flames welcomed. TIA.

#2 ·
Sully -

I know you said drag but I thought I would offer my perspective anyway. For a 4wt trout rod you can get a lot more reel for the $$ without the drag sometimes, a favorite of mine being the Ross Colorado. It has the traditional click pawl drag on a bar stock palmable spool with a real nice satin anodized finish and lifetime warranty for $100. Extremely light and something that will last generations for a reasonable price. Click on the ad for specs on the reel.

I'm not sure if the new advertising has been finished yet up on the site but Jim Murphy was showing his new line of Redington reels most w/ drags at the show. Unbelievable prices and as you know his warranties are the best. He had them in down to one-weight sizes too. Well under $100.

The Lamson LP 1, 1.5 are great machined w/ disc drag 4wt reels but well over $100.

The Okuma's are very inexpensive but I wouldn't call them light. The drag is very strong. The cost is unbelievably affordable probably because it's cast metal.

The Cortland graphites and the old SA1 reels are very light and affordable although click pawl drags.

I was looking for a good trout reel the year Lamson was being bought out. Kittery thought the line was dead so was dumping LP's at 50% off retail. I picked up a LP2 and spool for half price, then Waterworks bought them and the price went back up to full. For once, I got lucky in the spending department!

A while back someone posted a Cabelas reel that wes pretty unbelieveable for the money, but it was not a 4wt reel as I recall.

It might do you good to take a ride down to see Rich Soriano in Marlboro with his business card.

Good luck, guess I wasn't much help.

#3 ·
HI Sully,
I use a Lamson LP 1.5L 3.5 oz .It is a click and pawl drag.I have caught large fish with this reel.Disc drags add weight,and are overkill for trout[in my opinion]
Bean sells a click drag reel for 35 dollars3.3 oz.Orvis clear water 4.4 0z about the same.Hardy featherweight 135 dollars 3.5 oz etc.I would opt for the lightest reel you can find in your price range.
Domenic

#4 ·
I own a Lampson and like it a lot. The problems with reels today is which one will survive the market place . I heard unoffically that Ross reels were bought out by someone big. Stick with the companies that have been around for some time. Tioga is another reel that is great for the money.
FishHawk

#5 ·
I have always used the small Orvis Batenkills--fairly cheap, spring and pawl or disc drag, and good warranty. Be very cautious of some of the cheaper Cabelas reels--while their rods are nice, my buddy bought a 4 wt. combo outfit to take salmon/trout fishing with us last spring and the reel literally fell apart the first day. Total piece of junk.

#6 ·
For the last 3 years or so I have been using the Cabela's disc drag graphite reel - 789d. It's a bit big for my 4 weight but I'm cheap and I wanted to use it on my 7 weight as well. I have been very happy with it, had no problems, it's pretty light at 5.3 oz, and at 35 bucks it's hard to beat.

#7 ·
Hey Sully,

Finn Nor makes a nice little 4 wt. for about $669.00 that should be the one for you
Actually as I searched for a reel, before and during the show, to outfit my DS-2 with (ok everyone else, I scooped a Teton Tioga) I noticed the teirs to by like this:

$35 - el junko
$50- not bad, might last might not
$80- NOTHING HERE???
$120- Big leap to this level ??? Decent reels as we all know.

Ill bet there are some good $50 reels but you got to find out which one last and which don't. OF course the good news is, NO SALT!

Terry

#8 ·
I guess this is where I show that I like cheap tackle. What I bought this year for a four weight is the Cortland mosquito. It's a cast metal reel, with a two pawls for the clicker (only 1 is needed) and a rim for applying drag, but it is a touch heavy at 4.8 oz. List price was ~ $24 but I found it at $6 on closeout @ Walmart.

I have one of the Cortland ltd graphite reels & they are a nice light reel with a disc drag. Durable too, mines taken a couple of falls off the the roof of the car without damage. The small one would be a nice reel for a trout rig. I was considering it until I ran into the deal on the mosquito.

#11 ·
Hmm I didn't notice any Redingtons in that price range. Ok found something at:

<a href="http://www.redington.com/newreelpage.html" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.redington.com/newreelpage.html</a><!--auto-->

The Red Start is a disc drag for $55.00

#14 ·
Juro,

What's the deal on the Reddington reel?
"I'm not sure if the new advertising has been finished yet up on the site but Jim Murphy was showing his new
line of Redington reels most w/ drags at the show. Unbelievable prices and as you know his warranties are the
best. He had them in down to one-weight sizes too. Well under $100."

Did you just see them at the show or do dealers have them.
I don't have Jim's email address do you? TIA

#16 ·
Just got back from Gregg's informal tying get-together... great time.

The Redington reels that Jim had at the show are not shown in the website. I have the new catalog at the office where I thought I would read it... does me a lot of good there! I will find out and let you know. Another alternative is to contact Bob Desplaines who works with one of our sponsors Blue Northern. Since he is a model in the new Redington catalog, he might be worth talking to or at least ribbing about the photo with the waders down to his ankles.

I'll be able to provide a better answer tomorrow, and yes I have his email address... written on the catalog!

Another option - I have a nice SA1 click pawl reel that would work for a 4wt... you can borrow it indefinitely. Just pass it on to another member when you upgrade.

#17 ·
Sully -

Catalog shows the new RS<font size="1"><sup>2</font><!--1--></sup> reels but the pricelist didn't - so I just looked up on the site again and there they were! Was it me or did they just update the site?

Anyway, the new disc drag reels ar $120. Jim held up a click pawl that I believe he said was ~$80 - don't quote me on that price.

I'll check with him, I am supposed to email on a related topic anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.