Fly Fishing Forum banner

San Antonio FF?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  pastortd 
#1 ·
Here's the situation: my brother is stationed with the Army in San Antonio. His wife is currently deployed with the AF. He has been fishing gear for warmwater and saltwater species (all basses, gar, reds, etc.), but wants to get back into FF. He has no fly tackle, so I am going to (secretly) supply him with as full a compliment as I can.

I don't know anything about SA, so I did some research, but want to make sure he gets what he needs. Do you think an 8/9wt setup with 01X leaders, a long shooting head (density?), and various Clousers, poppers, deceivers, and shrimp/crab flies would do? Also, I will be building the rod myself so blank type info might be good.

Any input is welcome.

-- T.

#2 ·
I've been lucky enough to visit SA on business a few times. First of all if you go and like seafood go to Papa Do's (sp?) for a margarita and some kind of cajun grilled seafood. Great stuff.

Back to fishing... the Colorado runs right through the center of town, it's a bright and clean river with bass - not sure what else but a beautiful river. Then there's a flyshop downtown and the locals are as crazed with flyfishing the coast for reds and trout as we are for stripers here in the northeast. That seems to be the fever over freshwater from what I could gather.

For reds I would guess you'd do well on the standard coastal SWFF fare, finfish (deceivers, half and halfs, etc) and bigger versions of bonefish flies (crabs, gotchas, crazy charlies, etc).

I hear the reds are back strong and large in size to boot in TX recently. Please keep us posted as he learns this fishery I wouldn't mind trying it sometime.

#3 ·
juro said:
First of all if you go and like seafood go to Papa Do's (sp?) for a margarita and some kind of cajun grilled seafood.
Did you just offer the preacher a margarita? :whoa:

Thanks for the info. I guess it all really depends on what I can scrounge up to send him. Probably one of the famous "eBay" reels and we'll scour the catalogues for a good travel blank. I forgot about Charlies (that happens in Idaho), so thanks for that reminder!

-- T.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.