Fly Fishing Forum banner

Roof top security

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  MarkDoogue 
#1 ·
How do you keep someone form walking off with your yak when it's tied to the roof of your vehicel?

Roop

#3 · (Edited)
Similar thought has been crossing my mind as I anticipate purchase in the near future.

Some type of lockable cable system as Jim suggests (like the ones which come with some laptop computers). Should work if suitable anchor points can be found on the Yak?

Ah Jim, I see you've been reading up on our early medieval history thread. Maybe someone could come up with a suitable sticker illustrating the potential consequences of attempted theft:devil:

#4 ·
:) I never had a problem, with either the kayak, or the inflatable. Maybe it was because I had so many tie down lines, one on front, one on back, two lines on each side holding to the roof racks. I have never lost a boat, canoe, kayak, or inflatable. I guess it is too much trouble to get all the lines off, I guess that is why I use to find myself in the surf rather than the kayak, too much trouble getting it off.:D A bicycle cable attached from the roof rack, around the seat should take car of thievery in most cases.

#5 ·
I've come across a lockable cable design that seems to be the easiest answer.

You take two pieces of cable, make a large loop at one end of each and a very small one at the other. The large loops slip over, and down the bow and the stern of the yak, but are small enough not to reach the cockpit. You then join the two wires by the small loops with a padlock, under your roof rack bars. Once "locked in" the loops will not reach the ends of the bow or stern to release the yak.

I would suggest either wrapping the large wire loops with tape or rubber of some sort to minimize any hull abrasion.

~Mark

#6 ·
I have never had a problem, there are a lot more yaks out there that I think someone would want to steal instead of mine but, it's always on my mind.

The human race never ceases to amaze me, I expect mine to disappear someday - especially when it's 0-dark thirty and I'm off wading somewhere, my car is over a mile away and some drunk kids are cruising the beaches.

I think Mark had the best idea so far.

Thanks,

Roop

#7 ·
My solution so far has been to maintain speeds in excess of 65 MPH whenever yak is on roof. Yaks do get stolen off cars, I heard of one guy losing his while he and his son ran in to a diner to get coffe and donuts, so it doesn't take long and it does happen. Some people install s/s u-bolts either in the end if you can reach or inside on a bulkhead if there's nothing else to run a cable thru. Bury the Ubolts nuts in epoxy or something or spoil the threads. Probably doesn't take much of a cable to discourage one of these weiners from messing with yr boat, it seems to be mainly a crime of opportunity. I've also run the cable thru the doors and locked it inside the car to discourage them from stealing my racks at the same time.
Jim

#8 ·
On one outing last year I left my kayak on the roof of my car for a 6 hours or so. I was out of viewing distance and the yak was ripe for the taking. Keep in mind that my kayak is sort of beat up and junky looking. I do not ever expect anyone to try and steal it.

Anyway, by biggest concern has always been that some punk kids would try to steal the boat and damage my car in the process. I bought the yak for $75 (a steal for this used boat) and I would not mind all that much if somebody stole it as long as my car was unscathed in the process. I have contemplated writing the following words on the bottom of the yak (which is clearly exposed when you look at the yak on the roof of my car):

"If you plan to steal this kayak please take care in making sure that you do not damage my car. Thank You."

If you ever see a kayak with those words scrawled across it - odds are that it is mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.