Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cat Island

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  t.kelly 
#1 ·
My wife and I have booked a trip to Cat Island for the first week in March . We are staying at Pigeon Cay . If anyone could give me a heads up on what flies to tie , or any other information about the Island it would be greatly appreciated .

#2 · (Edited)
Pigeon Cay/Cat Island

T,

I stayed Pigeon Cay in April 2009 and had perfect weather. You can read my previously posted report.

There is not much doing on Cat Island so you need to get a rental car arranged by Leslie or Ned and hit the Road. Go north to Orange Creek and try some fishing and go south and have a great dinner at Fernadez Bay. I think there is a small flat at Fernandez Bay too. A must do activity is climbing Mt. Alvernia. If you find the steps too steep you can take a trail up on the left.

PM if you have any other questions.

Enjoy,

Marty

#3 · (Edited)
My wife and I stayed at Pigeon Cay August 2010. It was my wife's first trip to the Bahamas and she loved it. Right on a beautiful beach and she loves beach sitting. She also went into the water which is something she will not do in NC.
I didn't fish all day like I usually do, spending time with her. I did fish most mornings. There is a flat right behind Pigeon Cay that is a 5 minute walk. I caught a few fish there. I fished up at Orange Creek one day. Hit it at low tide and found tailers. Went back into the creek more when the tide got up and found some cruising fish. I should have spent more time there. You would need to rent a car. We rented a truck to explore. Most flies should work there. Can't go wrong with Gotchas. Use something light for tailers.
Walt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.