Fly Fishing Forum banner

Nick Svencer and any other palm junkies...

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  JimW 
#1 ·
Alright, so I used to laugh at guys with handhelds... now I have one. Only because I have been unable to cope with my schedules at the day job, and the ability to look at date book items in the week view and slide them to another time slot and 'see' the conflicts I am creating is worth it's weight in gold! I realize I need to learn to say "no" and I need a concrete way to qualify that "no" to myself. I tend to over commit and get spread too thin. Anyway...

I recall some discussions between Nick (aka. GQ) and others about cool stuff that pertains to flyfishing on PalmOS. First and foremost a tide chart! Contact info downloadable for conclave participants maybe! Directions to the campsite, etc. Who knows, all kinds of possibilities!

#3 ·
Juro,
Oh how you will come to love this thing.

Tide tool is a must, as per the link above.
There are also many different fishing journal programs free of charge in places like Download.com andfreewarepalm so feel free to poke around. Another great link is PalmBLVD.

As far as linking contacts and what not I find that the Memo function in Outlook is the best way going. I just take the final email and cut and paste it into a memo, all the numbers etc. are right there now.

Another great thing is Avantgo . You can hotsync almost any web page to it and it clips important text. One of its best features is from Mapquest you can directly download directions to it from the last screen.

I myself am just starting to explore the new functions of my Palm/Cell Phone . Wireless web access on this thing is much better than on just the phone and seems like it could be really helpful by getting last minute emails on secret meeting spots from the back of my car late Friday Nights.

#4 ·
I got a Visor Deluxe for Christmas. I also got the Magellian GPS Companion, which I returned; I was under-whelmed with the Software.

There are a lot of good organization tools, but with this being a fishing Site, I reccomend the "Tide Tool"; it's very good & also has Sun/Moon data.

#5 ·
I started using tides 1.2.....has anyone used both and do you prefer one over the other??

Does Tide Tool allow for multiple locations? (juro you're gonna love being able to pull up a tide chart for BC, *AS* you are planning your next vacation -- totally rules for planning those "family" escapes....:D )

--j

#6 ·
Tide Tool allows you to download by region, so it become a matter of how much memory you have. I think I have Maine to VA. The regions are not that big, but I can't remember just how big. I think that they don't store the entire database; I assume that different areas have specific formulas & equations needed to compute the tides on the fly?

#8 ·
handbase is a decent product for the palm os, you can connect and syncronize this an access database, I think it has an odbc module to allow connection to other databases as well. The clave list is a great app even if it were stored on the palm as a phone list, just use the category filter to limit the results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.