Fly Fishing Forum banner

Newbie question: how to balance rod & reel

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mike Oliver 
#1 ·
I'm new to fly fishing and need some advice re balance of reel-to-rod. I have a Sage SP 9', 5 wt., 3 piece rod and i'm now shopping for a reel to match it. The set-up will be used for trout fishing in small to medium creeks and rivers in California. I have a minor shoulder problem with my casting arm so I want to keep the rod-reel combo as light as possible. A salesman at the local fly shop told me it was important to "balance" the rod to the reel, but he didn't elaborate. My question is how to determine if a reel is the right balance for my rod, and if anyone has reel suggestions for me. I was considering an Orvis Battenkill Barstock II or III, or a Ross Evolution 1.5, but now I don't know if these would be the right "balance" for my rod. Thanks for any suggestions. Evans...

#2 ·
Any of those reels mentioned should fit that rods fine. Just don't buy a reel that is TOO big for the rod....you prolly want to stay away from any large Arbor stuff....you really don't need it with a 5 wt on small streams. Just by small and light and it should be "balanced". I personally like Ross Reels.

#3 ·
I argree keep it light if your trout fishing small to medium streams you are probably not going to be catching huge fish and if you do they are not going to go very far. You will probably rarely use your drag. I have Bar stock 3 which I like but understand the Ross is very good just not as widely sold in the norheast.
My favorite trout real is a cheapo pflueger click drag, mostly because it's on my favorite rod right now and it sounds cool when the fish run! :) Good luck it's a great sport

#4 ·
Update

Thanks for the great input. Here's an update on my situation: a friend has offered me his nice Hardy Featherweight to use. I want to put a 5 wt line on it and try it out on my 9', 5 wt Sage SP. Some in the know have told me the Featherweight is better suited to a 4 wt line, while others have said it will work just fine with a 5 wt, weight forward line. Is there any real concern over using a 5 wt line on this reel?

#5 ·
I don't know the Hardy but I believe you should be fine may need to shorten backing some. There are many variables that determine how much space any given fly line will take up on any reel that said, This isn't rocket science all a trout reel does is hold fly line. The important thing is GO FISHING your outfit doesn't need to be perfect! I would also suggest you go with an experianced fly fisher maybe the owner of the reel? It makes the experiance that much more fun and helps with the learning curve.

Don't be intimidated with all the gadgetry it's realy as simple as:
Fish eat bugs, there are more bugs underwater than on top (most of the time), that long stick you bought helps you get your bug imitations to the fish via a leader and line, the reel holds the line so it isn't laying at your feet. I would also learn to wade with some stealth and fish with as short a cast as possible think of it as hunting as much as fishing. And finally practice some basic knots at home before your standing at the strream bed. oh fish (trout) are also pretty dumb, brain about the size of a pea, figure out (about) what they are eating don't let them know you are there and you WILL catch them.

Not trying to be riddiculus but it's really that simple. You'll figure out the rest once your hooked and it will only take the rest of your life :) HAVE FUN !!!

#6 ·
Heh Tight-Lines is talking a lot of common sense. We can get bogged down with gear. Within reason as long as it is near enough we can adapt our tackle. Otherewise we could ned up with a different rod and reel for every run or pool on the river.
Lots of BS is talked about rod and reel balancing acts. More important is to get without being hysterical about it the lowest swing weight you can in single hand rods. So if you have say a 5 wt rod then you may even get away with a reel designed to hold only a 3 wt line. As long as the fly line and about 40 yards of backing will fit you are mostly good to go fishing. So the 4 wt reel will be just dandy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.