Fly Fishing Forum banner

Angel Hair Differences

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
I just wanted to get some opinions here.. I have been tying a bunch of Angel hair flies and have noticed a difference between the Orvis Long Brite and the Umpqua. The pearl green is much easier to work with coming from Umpqua.. straighter and less tangle from it compared to the Long Brite..but I also think I have another manufacturer also which is similar to the long bright but lost the carboard discription. There seems to be a microscopic difference in width.But the flies are done with less difficulty in separation of fibers. Has anyone noticed this distinction? or am I seeing things, or have have I got the materials all confused... I don't think so since the Ummqua says "Angel Hair" right on it. The Long bright is the same to me except with that difference.

#2 ·
John-

I agree that there is a definite difference. The Angel hair is much straighter and easier to use. Since I use it to 'weave' into ultrahair, I much prefer the straighter more manageable option when it comes to this particular material. BTW - Orvis stores do carry Angel Hair as well as the other stuff, or at least some do.

Email me for details

Juro

#5 ·
Also heard recently that Umpqua was no longer offering the Angel Hair and that you needed to purchase it under the Angler's Choice label now. Same material as Angler's has been making it for Umpqua all along.

Much easier to use for Capt ray's killer angel than long brite.

#10 ·
Watch It Ray... that was my post... you don't want me to start on you again do you.. You know... more stories about you knowing Ernest Hemmingway. Anyway ,thanks for the descriptions of the different Angel hairs. Tied some nice big Yak hair flies at First Light Anglers tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.