Fly Fishing Forum banner

Marquis Salmon 1

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pescaphile 
#1 ·
I have a Hardy Marquis Salmon 1 reel and am considering utilizing both pawls at the same time to hopefully increase the drag resistance.Has anyone tried this and does it create a noticable difference?Would it cause any undo wear on the drag parts?----Thanks--Bob

#2 ·
These reels don't offer a lot of drag. You just need to add a little pressure with your fingertips or palm to add drag. I much prefer this to a drag with a lot of resistance.

Engaging both pawls will increase your drag some, but don't expect too much additional resistance. Since you have twice as many "clicks" per revolution of your spool from having two pawls engaged instead of one, I'd expect that the components will wear faster. However, this is not an uncommon practice and I've never heard of any problems with drag parts wearing faster so I'd have to believe any increase in wear is negligible. Pawls are readily available and easily replaced if needed, but the gear requires professional servicing.

You could also have a weak spring causing your low drag. These are also readily available and easy to replace. In the US, contact Bill Archuleta in Grants Pass, Oregon for parts and service. He's the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.